Ghost Admin Client
Ember.js application used as a client-side admin for the Ghost blogging platform. This readme is a work in progress guide aimed at explaining the specific nuances of the Ghost Ember app to contributors whose main focus is on this side of things.
We use pure CSS, which is pre-processed for backwards compatibility by Myth. We do not follow any strict CSS framework, however our general style is pretty similar to BEM.
Styles are primarily broken up into 4 main categories:
- Patterns - are base level visual styles for HTML elements (eg. Buttons)
- Components - are groups of patterns used to create a UI component (eg. Modals)
- Layouts - are groups of components used to create application screens (eg. Settings)
All of these separate files are subsequently imported and compiled in
Front End Standards
- 4 spaces for HTML & CSS indentation. Never tabs.
- Double quotes only, never single quotes.
- Use tags and elements appropriate for an HTML5 doctype (including self-closing tags)
- Adhere to the Recess CSS property order.
- Always a space after a property's colon (.e.g, display: block; and not display:block;).
- End all lines with a semi-colon.
- For multiple, comma-separated selectors, place each selector on its own line.
- Avoid over-nesting CSS. Never nest more than 3 levels deep.
- Use comments to explain "why" not "what" (Good: This requires a z-index in order to appear above mobile navigation. Bad: This is a thing which is always on top!)