Lookup an IP address to find out which public cloud it originates from
This repository contains python3 code to find out which public cloud an IP address originates from.
- Python3 (3.11)
- MaxMind license key (for GeoLite2 ASN database). This database is free subject to license restrictions by MaxMind. Sign up here.
- see also requirements.txt
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Microsoft Azure
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
- IBM Cloud
- Starlink (yes ok, not a cloud but it is up in the clouds right?)
How it works
For AWS, GCP, Azure and OCI this looks up the IPs using the publicly published IP ranges by these providers.
For the other providers it uses the MaxMind ASN database to lookup IP information.
Internally this is using the
ipaddress module in python to do a search through the various CIDR blocks. In future this could be improved if the need arises.
- Clone this repo:
git clone https://github.com/Twingate-Labs/tg-ip-lookup, & switch into directory
- Install requirements (virtual env recommended), e.g.
pip install -r requirements.txt
- Prepare the database
python cloudlookup/loadCloudProviderData.py *MaxMind License Key*. The database should be updated regularly (e.g. daily)
- Try an IP lookup, e.g.
python lookup_ip.py XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX