For binaries and general information see the homepage.
The bug tracker can be found at https://github.com/Aegisub/Aegisub/issues.
Support is available on Discord or IRC.
- Visual Studio (Community edition of any recent version is fine)
- The June 2010 DirectX SDK (the final release before DirectSound was dropped)
- Python 3
- Powershell execution policy set to Unrestricted
There are a few optional dependencies that must be installed and on your PATH:
- msgfmt, to build the translations
- WinRAR, to build the portable installer
- InnoSetup, to build the regular installer
- 7zip, to build the regular installer
- Moonscript, to build the regular installer
All other dependencies are either stored in the repository or are included as submodules.
- Clone Aegisub's repository:
git clone https://github.com/TypesettingTools/Aegisub.git
- From the Visual Studio "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt", generate the build directory:
meson build -Ddefault_library=static(if building for release, add
- Build with
You should now have a binary:
You can generate the installer with
ninja win-installer after a successful build. This assumes a working internet connection and installation of the optional dependencies.
A vaguely recent version of Xcode and the corresponding command-line tools are required.
For personal usage, you can use pip and homebrew to install almost all of Aegisub's dependencies:
brew install libass nasm ninja boost zlib icu4c pkg-config ffms2 fftw hunspell gettext cmake brew link --force gettext export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib" export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/opt/icu4c/include" export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/pkgconfig" pip install meson
Once the dependencies are installed, build Aegisub with
meson build && meson compile -C build.
From within the Moonscript repository, run
bin/moon bin/splat.moon -l moonscript moonscript/ > bin/moonscript.lua.
Open the newly created
bin/moonscript.lua, and within it make the following changes:
- Prepend the final line of the file,
package.preload["moonscript"](), with a
- Within the function at
package.preload['moonscript.base'], remove references to
remove_loader. This means removing their declarations, definitions, and entries in the returned table.
- Within the function at
package.preload['moonscript'], remove the line
The file is now ready for use, to be placed in
automation/include within the Aegisub repo.
All files in this repository are licensed under various GPL-compatible BSD-style licenses; see LICENCE and the individual source files for more information. The official Windows and OS X builds are GPLv2 due to including fftw3.