DSCI 521: Computing Platforms for Data Science
How to install, maintain, and use the data scientific software "stack". The Unix operating system, integrated development environments, and problem solving strategies.
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course, students are expected to:
- Use the Unix command line to navigate their computer's filesystem.
- Define and distinguish between absolute file paths and relative file paths.
- Effectively use local and remote version control software (e.g., Git and GitHub) to organize projects and manage file versions.
- Create, edit and run reproducible literate Python and R code documents (e.g., reports and presentations) using Jupyter and RMarkdown.
- Write and edit Markdown and in-line LaTeX syntax within literate code documents.
- Define and correctly use a project working directory.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot programming and development environment problems, and explain how such problems can be avoided.
This is an assignment-based course. You'll be evaluated as follows:
|MDS Policies quiz||2%||At home, on Canvas|
|Lab 1 - Introduction to MDS homework and practice with Jupyter Notebooks||13%||Submit to Github|
|Lab 2 - Creating webpages/blogs with Git and GitHub||15%||Submit to Github|
|Lab 3 - Introduction to RStudio and RMarkdown for reports and presentations||15%||Submit to Github|
|Lab 4 - RStudio projects and driving Git from RStudio||15%||Submit to Github|
|Quiz 1||20%||On Canvas and written in your lab room|
|Quiz 2||20%||On Canvas and written in your lab room|
Tip: Use the lecture learning objectives as beacons when studying for your quizzes!
Follow the installation guide for the UBC Master of Data Science Software Stack here: https://ubc-mds.github.io/resources_pages/installation_instructions/
Materials were inspired, re-used and re-mixed from the following sources:
- Software Carpentry, specifically the Unix Shell and Git lessons
- Happy Git and GitHub for the useR by Jenny Bryan and the STAT 545 TAs
- Data 8: The Foundations of Data Science, specifically Lab 01
- Data Carpentry Reproducible Science Workshop
The UBC Master of Data Science DSCI 521: Computing Platforms for Data Science course materials here are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License (CC BY 2.5 CA). If re-using/re-mixing please provide attribution and link to this webpage.