Organisational Structure of the Foundation
Considerations for the Foundation, and obligations of its members:
- The Hackspace Foundation ("Organisation") exists to further its goals to the benefit of its members
- The Organisation's membership is made up of hackspaces (Member Spaces) and individuals (Supporter Members), see Articles of Association and the Membership section below
- All members are required to follow the Code of Conduct
- The Organisation is directed by a small, elected managing board
- The Organisation's focus is on high-level co-ordination and support, not the running of individual hackspaces
- The Organisation was incorporated on the 9th January 2017
- There are two classes of membership to the Organisation:
- Member Hackspaces ("Member Spaces")
- Supporter Members ("Members")
- Votes are weighted 80:20 towards Member Spaces - see Articles of Association for details
- An organisation may join as a Member Space if it meets the Foundation's definition of a Hackspace
- Applications to join the Organisation as a Member Space will be reviewed and accepted at the discretion of the board
- Member Spaces must pay a minimum yearly membership fee of £20, but the recommended donation for 2017 is 2% of surplus - this will be reconsidered by the membership in 2018
- If an Member Space's membership fee goes unpaid for two months after being requested, it will cease to be a member.
- Member Spaces must each appoint 1-2 people to the Organisation as representatives ("Representatives")
- These Representatives hold 1 Member Space vote between them, subject to the weighting applied to Member Spaces
- Representatives do not have to pay an individual membership fee
- The Organisation has one or more Supporter Members who support its objectives.
- Supporter Members may apply to join the association and will be accepted at the discretion of the board
- Supporter Members cannot also be a Representative of a Member Space
- Supporter Members get a single vote in organisational decisions, subject to the weighting applied to Supporter Members
- Supporter Members must pay a yearly membership fee of £10.
- If an Supporter Member's membership fee goes unpaid for two months after being requested, they will cease to be a member.
- The Foundation maintains an elected board to oversee general operation/administration whom:
- must be Supporter Members,
- should not also be active directors of a Hackspace,
- are expected to have past experience of managing a Hackspace, or contributing to it