Installing an Unpakt workstation
- Install a machine with Lion.
- Register with Apple if you feel so inclined (I usually hit command-Q)
- Set timezone
- Create Unpakt user "Unpakt" "unpakt". Make sure it's an administrator.
- Install XCode:
- Run "App Store" app (built into Lion)
- Search for "Xcode"
- Click "Free" -> "Install" on Xcode
- Wait for install to finish. It's a 1.5gb file, so it can take a while
- Open XCode and accept terms and conditions
- Download and install the Command Line Tools for XCode from: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
- Wait for install to finish
- Download & run the bootstrap code:
bash <(curl https://raw.github.com/Unpakt/unpakt_cookbooks/master/boot.sh)
- During the 1-hour installation, you will be prompted to install java. You don't need to do anything; java will be installed automatically by one of the chef recipes, and the manual installation is not required (there's a dependency issue which brings up the java-install-dialogue (chef->ohai->java), and we couldn't find a natural way around it).
- Wait for ~1 hour while things are downloaded & compiled.
- Reboot when it has finished.