Real Time Congress for iOS
Built by the Sunlight Foundation. Available on the App Store.
Present vs. Future
The app currently in the App Store is built with HTML and runs on top of PhoneGap. The code is available in a separate repository. That project is no longer active.
The project is transitioning to a native iOS app. It needs to preserve all current features of Real Time Congress, incorporate features currently present in Congress for Android and Stream Congress, and hopefully add in more new features on top of all of that. It will use Sunlight's Congress API and Real Time Congress API for Congressional data.
First, we need to create and publish the iOS app while replacing the features of the PhoneGap app:
- A live stream of floor updates
- A daily schedule of committee hearings
- Links to legislative documents and whip notices
We will not be replacing the "news" feature.
Once we reach feature parity with the PhoneGap app, new features can be tackled. These are largely inspired by Congress for Android and Stream Congress.
- Members of Congress
- Search by name, state, zip code, amd device geolocation
- View contact information, voting record, and committee membership
- View social media and news updates
- Browse and search by name
- View membership and schedule of hearings
- Browse and search for bills
- View roll call vote record on bills
- Marking entities as a favorite
Time to really harness the features of iOS and think outside the box:
- Live video streaming
- iPad interface
Google Summer of Code
GSoC students applying for this project should expect to work on Phases 2 and 3. Phase 1 should be mostly complete by May 23, the beginning of Google Summer of Code. A strong applicant will demonstrate real-world experience with iOS plus an understanding of the mission and activities of Sunlight Labs. More ideas are encouraged for Phase 3. Applicants should be creative, self-directed, and entrepreneurial. Strong communication skills are a must.
Email luigi (at) sunlightfoundation.com or find LuigiMontanez on Freenode in the #sunlightlabs channel.
To-Do for iPad Interface
- Implement opening screen for iPad interface