"Clean" Theme for iBooks
(c) Aaron Miller and released under the MIT license, incorporated herein by reference.
DISCLAIMER: This is not an authorized Apple patch, so all the caveats for that apply. There is no guarantee that this will work, that it will not screw up your iPad, that it can be undone (if you don't properly back up your apps), that it will make your life better, or any other guarantee express or implied. Nor am I liable for anything that may occur when you use this patch. And just a reminder: tinkering with copyrighted software is always at your own expense and should be undertaken with full awareness of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) which makes reverse engineering or otherwise modifying copyrighted software a federal crime.
-iPad or iPhone with iBooks app installed
-iTunes and a Mac with iTunes (obviously)
-iPhone Explorer, v 2.007
What this is:
This will replace the Sepia and Default themes for iBooks with cleaner-looking themes. The fake book border, fake book gutter shadows, and fake page edges will disappear, for a really clean page look in both portrait and landscape orientations. ***Note: If you intend to reverse this, make sure to back up any file that this replaces.
What to do:
1. Open iPhone explorer with your iPad connected. Navigate to the Apps/iBooks/iBooks.app folder. This is where you will replace files.
2. (Optional) Back up your entire iBooks.app folder by dragging it to your Desktop. Let all the files copy completely.
3. Copy each file from the PatchFiles folder into the Apps/iBooks/iBooks.app folder. Agree to the confirmation prompt to overwrite the existing file with the same name. If you don't see a confirmation prompt, you're probably copying the files to wrong place.
4. Quit iPhone explorer and disconnect your iPad.
5. Open iBooks and test out your new look-and-feel in both orientations. If you don't see the changes immediately, try using the font menu to switch between the sepia and default themes.
6. That's it! Enjoy your clean iBooks experience.
Clean up the iBooks themes to remove fake book visuals such as gutter shading and page edges