[VS-2018-024] SaferVPN for Windows Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
Safer Social Ltd
SaferVPN for Windows suffers from a
SYSTEM privilege escalation vulnerability in its
SaferVPN.Service service. The
SaferVPN.Service service executes
openvpn.exe using OpenVPN config files located within the current user's local application data directory i.e.
\AppData\Local\SaferVPN\OvpnConfig\. An authenticated attacker may modify these configuration files to specify a dynamic library plugin that should run for every new VPN connection attempt. This plugin will execute code in the context of the
A release is scheduled.
- 04-09-2018 - Vendor disclosure via email
- 04-09-2018 - Vendor notified via Facebook
- 04-10-2018 - Vendor response via email: Reviewing
- 04-18-2018 - Vendor followup
- 04-20-2018 - Vendor response: A release is scheduled that resolves this issue
- 05-01-2018 - Vendor notified of the advisory release
Fabius Watson of VerSprite Security (@FabiusArtrel)