Challenge for Software Engineer or Frontend Engineer
See our open jobs http://www.vervemobile.com/jobs/
To better assess a candidates development skills, we would like to provide the following challenge. You have as much time as you’d like though we ask that you not spend more that a few hours.
Imagine that Verve has just received a new advertising campaign from a national coffee franchise to promote their new Chocolate Macchiato. They will be delivering a tab separated document with each store location so we can drive foot traffic into each location. Geo targeted ads are typically target to a 5 mile radius around the business. Your task is to create a web interface that accepts file uploads, stores it in a database and then displays a list ordered ordered by distance from the Verve Carlsbad office ( 33.1243208, -117.32582479999996 ).
Here’s what your web-based application must do:
- Your app must accept ( via a form ) a tab delimited file with the following columns: business name, address, city, state, postal code, country, latitude, longitude. The example file is named offers_poi.tsv is included in this repo.
- Your app must parse the given file and store the information in a database.
- After upload, your application should display each location ordered by distance from the Verve Carlsbad office.
- (Bonus Points) Provide an api to query for locations near a given latitude and longitude.
Your application does not need to:
- handle authentication or authorization
- be written in any particular language or framework
Bonus points for:
• Being aesthetically pleasing
• Using Google Maps
• Using Ruby, Rails, Lua, Go, or PostGIS
Your application should be easy to set up and should run on Mac OS X. It should not require any for-pay software.
- Did you application fulfill the basic requirements?
- Did you document the method for setting up and running your application?
After completing the challenge submit it to your Verve contact or jspooner[at]vervemobile.com