WebAssembly System Interface Subgroup Charter
The System Interface Subgroup is a sub-organization of the WebAssembly Community Group of the W3C. As such, it is intended that its charter align with that of the CG. In particular, the sections of the CG charter relating to Community and Business Group Process, Contribution Mechanics, Transparency, and Decision Process also apply to the Subgroup.
The mission of this subgroup is to provide a forum for pre-standardization collaboration on a system interface API for WebAssembly programs.
The Subgroup will consider topics related to system interface APIs, including:
- APIs for host filesystems, network stacks, and other resources.
- APIs for graphics, audio, input devices
- APIs for encryption, format conversion, and other transformations (particularly where hardware acceleration may be available on some platforms)
The Subgroup may produce several kinds of specification-related work output:
- Creation of new specifications in standards bodies or working groups (e.g. Wasm WG or TC39)
- Creation of new specifications outside of standards bodies (e.g. similar to the LLVM object file format documentation in Wasm tool conventions)
The Subgroup may produce non-normative material such as requirements documents, recommendations, and use cases.
The Subgroup may produce software related to Wasm system interface APIs (either as standalone libraries, tooling, or integration of interface-related functionality in existing CG software such as Binaryen or WABT). Capabilities may include:
- Libraries implementing external standard APIs in terms of WebAssembly System Interface APIs
- Tools for producing code that uses WebAssembly System Interface APIs
- Tools for implementing WebAssembly APIs
- Tools for debugging programs using WebAssembly System Interface APIs
Amendments to this Charter and Chair Selection
This charter may be amended, and Subgroup Chairs may be selected by vote of the full WebAssembly Community Group.