Minimum Viable Product
As stated in the high-level goals, the first release aims
at being a Minimum Viable Product (MVP). This means that there are important
features we know we want and need, but are post-MVP; these are in a separate
The major design components of the MVP have been broken up into separate documents:
- The distributable, loadable and executable unit of code in WebAssembly is called a module.
- The behavior of WebAssembly code in a module is specified in terms of instructions for a structured stack machine.
- The WebAssembly binary format, which is designed to be natively decoded by WebAssembly implementations, is specified as a binary encoding of a module's structure and code.
- The WebAssembly text format, which is designed to be read and written when using tools (e.g., assemblers, debuggers, profilers), is specified as a textual projection of a module's structure and code.
- WebAssembly is designed to be implemented both by web browsers and completely different execution environments.