A music player for Linux and Windows with MP3, OGG, and WAV support. It was originally released on http://zetacentauri.com and then vorbitalplayer.com and via the Ubuntu Software Center.
The Vorbital Player was originally written using wxWidgets, but has been ported to Qt due to some multiplatform portability and consistency annoyances with wxWidgets. It is written in C++ and uses a number of libraries for file format support (mpg123, libsndfile, libogg, libvorbis, libwavpack, etc.)
Building on Windows
Building for Windows will be a nuisance because you will have to set paths to all of the various audio libraries (the Windows build isn't as well-maintained as the Linux build, and the Qt version hasn't been released on Windows yet). If you just want the app, an installable version of Vorbital 4.0 for Windows is available in the installer folder.
These libraries were used to build version 4.0 on Windows:
OpenAL version 6.14.357.24.
wrap_oal.dll version 18.104.22.168.
libogg version 1.3.0.
wavpack version 4.60.1.
libmpg123 version 1.14.2.
To build an installer for Windows, look in the /installer folder for NullSoft Installer (NSIS) and InnoSetup projects. File paths may have changed, so you may need to update them to build an installer.
Building on Linux
To build on Linux, you will need Qt 5 and the following packages:
libsndfile-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libwavpack-dev libmpg123-dev
Just do the standard "qmake" and then "make" to build.
What's new in version 4.0 of Vorbital Player:
- Support for playing .mp3 files.
- Support for displaying album art.
- The program now remembers the volume setting, shuffle setting, and last window size when you exit, restoring them next time the program runs.
- Clicking the vorbitaplayer.com website link in the about box now tells you if there's a newer version of the software when you visit the site.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the program to crash on exit.
- Fixed a bug that could cause an item in the playlist to play twice in a row when double-clicked.
- Now available for Ubuntu Linux.
What's new in version 3.1 of Vorbital:
- Support for Audio Interchange File Format (.aif and .aiff) files.
- Support for Apple SND (.snd) files.
What's new in version 3 of Vorbital:
- Support for Wavpack (.wv) files.
- Support for Wave (.wav) files.
- User interface improvements.
What's new in version 2 of Vorbital:
- Added "randomize" button.
- Fixed function of pause button so it behaves as a pause rather than stop.
- Added "load directory" button.
- Playlist now supports drag-and-drop.
- Volume control slider added.
- Added "clear playlist" button.
- Fixed a handful of bugs and oddities.
- Add file button now supports multiple selections.