LogCat is a simple adb logcat viewer written purely in Objective-C and designed with Apple's Human Interface Guidelines in mind. It uses the native GUI views and is a lot nicer for the eyes than Eclipse plugins.
I'm a mobile device programmer. I've been working with Windows Mobile and iOS for quite some time now and when I started Android development I found Eclipse as the main frustration generator. It offers a lot of tools to get the job done but the quality of their design is poor. I started using eclim on a regular basis which allowed me to write code in Vim but I was lacking a small app that would display Android logs and allow for easy filtering and searching within them. Here it is - LogCat - a simple log viewer for Android.
P.S. This is my first open source project so please go easy on me :)
P.P.S. This was hacked in a couple of hours and I'm not the best Mac OS X programmer in the world so it must look silly :)
- Search as you type filtering
- Definable filters for quick access to frequently checked logs. Filterable by:
- log type,
- "Intelligent" automatic scroll
- Ability to change font color and style for each for different log types
- Janusz Bossy - SplashSoftware.pl
- qhm123 - (qhm123's GitHub profile)
- Chris Wilson - (Chris' GitHub profile)
Icon design: Kamil Tatara - cakeshop.pl
Special thanks: Dawid Gatti (Dawid's GitHub profile) for emerging with the idea for this project
This is a not prioritized list of what I'd like to add to LogCat:
- Support for more than 1 device at a time.
- Automatically generated filters for all the tags, types etc.
- Better and easier filter definitions with NSPredicateEditor.
- RegExp searching and filtering.
- Autodetection of adb location (or bundling the adb within LogCat?).
- A better solution for reading and parsing adb output.
If you find a bug or think you can add or fix sommething: fork, change, send a pull request, welcome to the Credits list. That easy!