This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only.
Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Clone this wiki locally
##What are dotfiles?
- What happens when I log in?
- Bash profile intro http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~pcs/apps/bash/intro-bash.html
- Advanced - storing them on github http://dotfiles.github.io/ (new developers should just use bash)
- Here are some things you can get the command line to do via your .bash_profile file.
- tab autocompletion
- press up arrow to see previous commands
- press up arrow to see previous commands that begin with the letters you've typed so far
- prompt displays your git branch name and status
- prompt displays differently - burger instead of $, line break, right-justified text somewhere, etc (some are easier than others)
- prompt displays more information about the current directory
- prompt displays your current ruby version (from rbenv)
- Ones that use zsh (advanced, nobody should do this until months of programming)
- Ones that use bash