Electronics of the ELLO 2M DIY portable computer
ELLO 2M is a a PIC32-powered portable computer for hobby and education. It is built entirely from PCBs (no other casing!).
ELLO 2M specifications
- 32-bit PIC32 micro-controller with 128kB RAM (512kB RAM in the ELLO 2M² “hacker” version)
- 7-inch LCD touch-screen panel with 800x480 pixel resolution
- 3x micro-SD cards – one permanently built-in and two for removable storage
- Real-time clock
- 2.4GHz RF communication module with simple communication protocol
- Small speaker
- Optional on-board serial non-volatile data RAM
- Expansion receptacle
- Electronic prototyping space with up to 1156 holes
- 4500mAh battery for up to 12 hours of continuous operation (more in power-saving mode)
- Replaceable keyboard panels
- Composite construction from PCB panels only
- ELLO is Thin - 6.4mm total without sockets, consisting of 6 stacked PCBs.
- Prototyping space - available on ELLO Geek and above, so you can create and test your projects using ELLO.
- Real-time clock and buzzer
- Ample storage - 3 Micro-SD card slots and an internal serial FRAM for data and code storage.
- Built in RF module - which essentially emulates a wireless UART connection and also has an internal stack with ability for simple networking with similar devices. The range (by specs) is about 100 metres.
- keyboard - 2 layered keyboard to create pushable buttons, complete with optional backlighting and indicator LED.
With ELLO you can
- Learn how to program in BASIC and C; more programming languages will follow soon
- Have an open field to create programs for everything; ELLO is new and your programs will be needed
- Prototype electronic circuits and control them directly from your programs
- Develop own expansion boards
- Write your own games
- Play alone or connected with friends