Jonathan Chuang, Bao Dinh, McKaulay Kolakowksi, Adele Miller
Chocolate Notebook is an app for people who are interested in tasting new fine chocolates and keeping track of ones they have previously tried. Currently, there are physical notebooks specialized for fine chocolate tasting. This app will allow people to keep track of numerous details about the chocolate they taste, such as its tasting notes, texture, batch number, origin, maker, percentage, quality, price and color.
Chocolate Journal (Data entry + viewing and sorting)
- Enter information about a chocolate bar
- Look up bars by specific things, such as maker, bar, or tasting notes
- Ex. See all of the bars that the user marked as having “fruity” notes
- (Stretch goal) Guide the user through tasting the chocolate as they enter data so that they are looking at the app and tasting the chocolate at the same time
Interactive map of chocolate bars by origin
- Display popular bars in each region
- Let people see where their chocolate is coming from
- Allow new users to sign up for trial boxes and try out chocolate from around the world, that can be delivered to them every month.
- Allow established chocolate enthusiasts an easy way to try out new chocolates
- Firebase - data storage, user authentication
- D3 - data visualization, path anotations
- Leaflet - map of chocolate across the world
- Bootstrap, for login and styling forms for entering in chocolate data, adjusting for screen size
- React - UI
- People beginning to taste chocolate who are curious about the industry and the variety of chocolate bars
- People who have been tasting chocolate for awhile already and either take notes in another form or have not kept records
- To help people keep a record of the chocolate they taste over time and create a hobby-like experience around their love of chocolate.
- To introduce people to new chocolate and the world of fine chocolate. We hope to create a community around our platform that can cater to chocolate enthusiasts around the world, and offer an easily accessible community for people unfamiliar with chocolate and its intricacies.
- To educate people about the world of fine chocolate and the experience behind it.