Service Learning Practicum
This repository is for the Service Learning Practicum course sequence (CS 4970/4971) at the University of Virginia. It is a 4th year software engineering capstone course for computing majors. The focus of the capstone is on developing software for local nonprofits.
The "md" links will work if viewed on github.com; the other links work if the repo is cloned locally.
- Slides (md)
- Docs (md)
- UVa specific material (md)
- SIGCSE 2014 talk for the paper entitled, "A Service Learning Practicum Capstone"
make in the cloned repo directory will convert all the .md files to .html files for local viewing (requires pandoc).
You can view more information about the Service Learning Practicum. In particular, this page includes information about how to apply, as well as current and former projects.
We have also had some press coverage:
- Win-Win: Computer Science Students Hone Skills Working for Local Non-Profits, UVa Today, June 24, 2015
- UVa Engineering Students Complete 15 Software Development Projects For Charlottesville Area Nonprofits, UVa CS News, May 6, 2015
- A different kind of classroom, Cavalier Daily, October 24, 2013. The SLP is the third of the courses listed.
- Tom Tom Founders Festival 2012: Crowd Funded Pitch Night. The micro-volunteering website is pitched starting at 3:49, and we won second place (shown at 4:55).
- Local catering business wins $1K at crowd-source event, C-ville, May 8, 2012. We are mentioned in paragraphs 7 and 8.
The material in this repository is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA).
Copyright (c) 2013-2015 by Aaron Bloomfield.