steem witness failover script
Single use automatic failover for steem witness nodes with a Twilio SMS notification
Use this at your own risk. This code is currently what I am using to maintain failover from witness node to witness node, but it requires knowledge of it's configuration and setup. I make no promises to provide assistance or updates to this code.
- Your WIF Active Key
- Twilio Account (or disable that code yourself)
To get started, there are two steps
cp .env.example .env
Then edit the values in the
.env file to the appropriate values for your account.
- steem_account: The account name of the witness
- steem_node: The steem public node used to broadcast the transaction
- steem_wif: The WIF active PRIVATE key of the account
- steem_backup: The WIF signing PUBLIC key of the backup server
- steem_account_creation_fee: (Preferred Witness Setting)
- steem_maximum_block_size: (Preferred Witness Setting)
- steem_sbd_interest_rate: (Preferred Witness Setting)
- steem_witness_url: (Preferred Witness Setting)
- check_rate: The number of seconds between checks.
The most confusing setting is likely:
- threshold: When the specified account reaches this value as
total_missed, the update will execute and change the witness account's signing key to the key specified as
Once these environmental variables are configured, you can build and start the script with:
docker-compose build && docker-compose up
You will begin to see messages in your terminal similar to:
failover_1 | 'Missed = 6 | Failover if >= 8 | Next Key: SYOURNEXTPUBLICKEY' failover_1 | 'Missed = 6 | Failover if >= 8 | Next Key: SYOURNEXTPUBLICKEY' failover_1 | 'Missed = 6 | Failover if >= 8 | Next Key: SYOURNEXTPUBLICKEY'
That means it's working properly, and will trigger once the failover amount is reached.