Rifiuti2 is a for analyzing Windows Recycle Bin INFO2 file. Analysis of
Windows Recycle Bin is usually carried out during Windows computer
Rifiuti2 can extract file deletion time, original path
and size of deleted files and whether the trashed files have been
Special note for 0.7.0
- Windows binaries will be automatically built from Appveyor and published to Github.
- Systems supporting UTF-8 encoding is mandatory, except on Windows console (file output is also in UTF-8). This shouldn't be problematic though, as UTF-8 locale is pretty much standard for Linux and macOS these years. On Windows front, there are already many featureful text editors capable of opening UTF-8 unicode text files.
- As a result,
-8option is obsolete and no more affects output in any way.
rifiuti2 is designed to be portable, and runs on command line environment.
Depending on relevant Windows recycle bin format, there are 2 binaries to
choose from (most users would want first one):
|Program||Recycle bin from OS||Purpose|
||Vista – Win10||Scans
||Win95 – XP/2003||Reads
Run programs without any option for more detail. Here are some more frequently used options:
||Output to file|
||Output XML instead of tab-separated fields|
||Display legacy (8.3) filenames and specify its codepage|
Please consult manpage (Unix) or README.html (bundled with Windows binaries) for complete options and detailed usage description.
rifiuti-vista.exe -x -z -o result.xml \case\S-1-2-3\
Scan for index files under
\case\S-1-2-3\, adjust all deletion time for local time zone, and write XML output to
rifiuti -l CP932 -t "\n" INFO2
Assume INFO2 file is generated from Japanese Windows (codepage 932), and display each field line by line, instead of separated by tab
It has been tested on Linux, Windows 7 and FreeBSD. Some testing on big endian platforms are done with Qemu emulator. More compatibility fix for other architectures welcome.
Windows binaries are officially provided on Github release page.
Note that 0.6.1 version is the last version that can run on Windows XP and 2003; upcoming versions would require Vista or above.
- DEB packages available officially on Debian and Ubuntu, hence also available on most (if not all) derivatives focusing on security and forensics, such as (this is incomplete list):
- RPM packages from Linux Forensics Tools Repository (LiFTeR) can be used on Fedora, and very likely CentOS and RHEL.
- ArchStrike (formerly ArchAssault), a penetration testing
derivative of Arch Linux, has
rifiuti2packaged since late 2014.
Official FreeBSD port is available since 8.4.
Others (Compile from source)
For OS where
rifiuti2 is not readily available, it is always
possible to compile from source.
rifiuti2 follows the usual
autotools based procedure:
./configure && make check && make install
Please refer to wiki page for more detail.
rifiuti2 is released under BSD license. Please refer to
license file for more detail.