Mobile social coordination prototype built with React Native and Firebase
React, Redux, Firebase, React Native Elements, React Native Router Flux, Location API
Installing / Getting started
To clone the repo and install dependencies:
clone https://github.com/abohannon/socialite.git cd socialite/ npm install
To get the development environment up and running, you'll first need to signup for an Expo account install the Expo XDE if you prefer a GUI: https://expo.io/tools
Using Expo Client:
- Open Expo XDE
- Select 'Open existing project...'
- Find and select the cloned project folder
- Once the project has initialized, click 'Device' and select your preferred simulator
Using Expo CLI:
npm install -d expto install expo globally
exp loginto login
ios [project-dir]to open project in Expo and in an iOs simulator or
android [project-dir]to open project in Expo and in an Android simulator
You'll also need a unique Yelp Fusion API key which you can get here: https://www.yelp.com/developers/documentation/v3/get_started
Once you've obtained your unique API key, add the following to
config/index.js in the root dir:
export const YELP_API_KEY = 'API KEY STRING'
To build the project, select 'Publish' in the Expo XDE dashboard.
Currently no testing has been implemented. This is something planned for future versions.
- User can signup and login to an authenticated view
- User can immediately see places nearby their current latitude and longitude
- User can see relevant information about places nearby
- User can search places that are in proximity to their current location and the results will display in real-time
- User can call a place by tapping the phone number listed on the card
- User can RSVP to any place that appears
- User can see how many other people have also RSVP'd
- User can see their current RSVP'd places in their 'My Places' view
- User can easily remove their RSVP from a place and the place will subsequently be removed from their 'My Places' view
Future Considerations and Open Thoughts
This app is a starting point for a more robust experience. Future features to include are:
- Ability to view, by username, which users are also attending the same place
- Friend/Follow functionality
- Ability to receive push notifications when a friend RSVPs to the same place
- Archive or calendar or past places you visited
- Ability to sort/search places by category
- User authentication needs to be included in a single component; currently, both Login and Signup forms are separate components with a lot of duplicated code.
If you find this project helpful as a starting point for your own project, please feel free to clone. If you are interested in submitting improvements, PRs are welcome!
- Repository: https://github.com/abohannon/socialite
- Issue tracker: https://github.com/abohannon/socialite/issues
- In case of sensitive bugs like security vulnerabilities, please contact email@example.com directly instead of using issue tracker. I value your effort to improve the security and privacy of this project!
The code in this project is licensed under MIT license.