This is a Rails app that displays the latest wildfire information in California. It scrapes the CAL FIRE Incidents government site and grabs the info. From there, it stores the info in a Rails model and you, the user, get to see all the major California fire incidents.
NOTE: CAL FIRE only shows major wild fires, e.g, the San Gabriel Valley fire currently happening near Los Angeles. Your local pyro's theatrics probably won't appear here.
- Sortable table of fire incidents
- Total acres burned (basic math stuff)
- All the cool kid tech (Rails, Coffeescript, Leaflet, Bootstrap, et al).
- Add proper GeoJSON of counties on fire
- Realtime updated either via a Cron or some bleeding edge Rails 4 tech and XML
This Rails project was built by Aaron Williams, a web developer and journalist who currently works for the Los Angeles Times.