Emoji Symbols used in this list
:school:= free for education
:free:= commercial but with free license (possibly limited)
Table of Contents
- Awesome Fabacademy
- Fab Academy
- Project Management
- Version Control
- Computer controlled cutting
- Electronics design
- Electronics production
- 3D Printing
- 3D Scanning
- Computer Controlled Machining
- Wildcard week
- Related Awesome Lists
- Other link collections
- fabacademy.org Main website.
- Previous years: complete index of the archive.
- Fab Cloud: Gitlab installation hosting and serving all content since 2017.
- Student's Handbook: general information useful for students, nodes and instructors
- Assessment Guide: assignments and evaluation for Fab Academy students
- Tutorials: assorted list of tutorials by students and instructors.
- Annual Report 2018, 2017.
- Projects on Fab Cloud: Curated list of Fablab-ready projects.
- Student final projects:
Project management tools
✅GitLab: Clone of GitHub, with issue trackers, kanban boards and milestones.
- Redmine: Popular choice for software projects, Ruby on Rails.
- Trac: Similar to Redmine but written in Python, has Gantt charts.
- OpenProject: Project collaboration software, has Gantt charts.
- Gantt Project: Linux project management app.
💰Microsoft Project: mostly used by professionals. 💰 ✅Trello: Kan Ban boards and team collaboration. 💰Basecamp 3: good for small teams. 💰Asana: popular in business.
Project management techniques
- Agile: iterative approach to planning and guiding project processes.
- SCRUM: based on the Agile methodology.
- Waterfall: traditional phase by phase project management.
- Git magic book: by Ben Lynn.
- Pro Git book: by Scott Chacon and Ben Straub.
- Git How to: a guided tour that walks through the fundamentals of Git.
- Git Immersion: is a guided tour that walks through the fundamentals of Git.
- GitHub Desktop: official GitHub client.
- SmartGit: stand-alone or portable Git client.
- TortoiseGit: Windows Explorer shell extension.
- Git ExtensionsLWindows Explorer extension.
- Legit: command-line interface for Git, optimized for workflow simplicity.
- Tower: powerful client for Mac and Windows
- Mercurial SCM: Older protocol also used in Fab Academy up to 2015.
- TortoiseHg: Windows Explorer shell extension.
- Fab Cloud: Free hosting for Fab labs - Sponsored by Fab Foundation.
- Github.com: The most used for Open source projects.
- Gitlab.com: Open source hosting similar to Github, based on Gitlab.
- BitBucket: Commercial GIT provider by Atalassian.
- Sourceforge: Top host for opensource projects before Github came out.
- Gimp: popular and one of the best options for Linux users.
- Krita: open source painting program for artists.
🆓MS Paint: built in windows.
- Photoshop: de facto standard for image editing on Mac and Windows.
- LightRoom: photo editing and organization.
- Pixelmator: cost effective image editing for Mac.
- Inkscape: best option for open-source lovers, many extensions, programming in python.
- Illustrator: standard software for professional graphic designers.
- Corel Draw: one of the oldest, still used often in the print & advertising industry.
Wireframes & UX Design
🆓Adobe XD: good free alternative to Sketch from Adobe.
- Wireframe.cc: web based tool.
- Balsamiq Mockups: one of the best for low-fi mockups.
- OmniGraffle: popular diagramming app for mac.
- Sketch: trendy app for modern UI designers, MAC only.
- Blender: indiscussed leader for open source 3D modeling and animation.
- TinkerCAD: easy 3d modeling package with STL export, perfect for kids.
- MeshMixer: free package to edit and mix 3d models
- 3DS Max
- Cinema 4D
- Modo popular for industrial designers, advanced topology.
- Sketchup: easy free-form modeling with sketch based approach, online and native, free and paid.
- Z-Brush: most used tool for digital artists.
- Mudbox: sculpting high res meshes.
- Sculptris: simpler sculpting program, good for beginners.
✅similar to Solidworks, growing community
- OpenSCAD text-based CSG modeling, used by many open source projects
💰Rhinoceros used by architects and designers, along with the Grasshopper free plugin 💰Fusion 360 🏫very powerful, cloud integration, integrated mesh, nurbs, surfaces, parametric, CAM tools 💰Solidworks 🏫Very advanced and complex, used for industrial applications
- Calculix. Open Source alternative to Abaqus. Very similar input file.
- Paraview great post processor (Open Source)
Computer controlled cutting
- Deepnest Open source nesting software
- Inkcut Open source software or controlling 2D plotters, cutters, engravers, and CNC machines
- KiCAD - Open source EDA package with push and shove router, differential pairs and much more.
- Eagle - One of the most popular EDA packages due to it's (board size restricted) free version.
- Design Spark PCB - Gratis EDA package without restrictions, sponserd by RS Components.
- Altium Circuit Maker - Free package from the maker of the go to pro software.
- gEDA - Another open source package, good for people that like scripting and makefiles, Linux and BSD only.
- DipTrace - Quality Schematic Capture and PCB Design software with (pin and signal layer restricted) free version.
- LibrePCB - A new, powerful and intuitive EDA tool for everyone, cross-platform and GNU GPLv3.
- Xesscorp's list of KiCAD 3rd party tools
- Contextual Electronics' Shine on You Crazy KiCad - Beginner video tutorial that gets you to a manufactured board as quickly as possible.
- Contextual Electronics' Getting to Blinky Tutorial - A more comprehensive beginner to intermediate video tutorial.
- KiCAD.info Forums - User discussion and help forum.
- Keyboard PCB Guide - Comprehensive written tutorial that takes you through creating a keyboard PCB.
- Cheatsheet (also in landscape) - Short PDF that goes over the menus and keyboard shortcuts for the most common operations.
- Footprint Collection - Collection of all the KiCAD footprints available online and some scripts to manage them.
- LTSpice - The industry standard free SPICE circuit simulator from Linear Technologies.
- Ngspice - Open source SPICE circuit simulator.
- Circuit JS - Open source online simulator for simpler circuits with live interactivity and visualization.
- Every Circuit - Free to try online, visual, interactive circuit simulator for simpler circuits.
- Qucs - Open source integrated circuit simulator for DC, AC, S-parameter, noise analysis, etc.
- iCircuit - Easy to use electronic circuit simulator, its advanced simulation engine can handle both analog and digital circuits and features realtime always-on analysis.
- Octopart - Probably the most well known part search engine.
- Findchips - Part search from Supply Frame.
- Parts.io - Another search engine from Supply Frame geared towards discovering new parts.
Development Board Retailers
- Sparkfun - Retailer and designer of open source electronics development boards and other equipment and materials with excellent accompanying tutorials.
- Adafruit - Another retailer and designer with excellent selection and tutorials.
- Tindie - Marketplace for electronics makers to sell low volume batches of their own designs.
- Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest Mims
- The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill
- Make: Electronics by Charles Platt
- Make: More Electronics by Charles Platt
- Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk
- The AVR Microcontroller and Embedded Systems: Using Assembly and C by Muhammad Ali Mazidi, Sarmad Naimi and Sepehr Naimi
- Encyclopedia of Electronic Components Series by Charles Platt
- Volume 1 - Resistors, Capacitors, Inductors, Switches, Encoders, Relays, Transistors
- Volume 2 - LEDs, LCDs, Audio, Thyristors, Digital Logic, and Amplification
- Volume 3 - Sensors for Location, Presence, Proximity, Orientation, Oscillation, Force, Load, Human Input, Liquid ... Light, Heat, Sound, and Electricity
- Forrest Mims Engineer's Mini Notebook Series
- Zero to Maker: Learn (Just Enough) to Make (Just About) Anything by David Lang
- Hackaday - Probably the most popular blog covering electronics and hardware hacking with a whole staff of writers.
- bunniestudios.com - Andrew 'Bunnie' Huang covers hardware hacking, open hardware, manufacturing and more.
- Bald Engineer - Project logs, tutorials and articles about electronics and embedded software by James Lewis.
- Rheingold Heavy - More project logs, tutorials and articles about electronics and embedded software, these ones by Dan Hienzsch.
- "skill" tag on learn.sparkfun.com - A wide variety of technical tutorials on various EE related skills.
- Soldering is Easy - Comic book that goes over the basics of soldering that has been translated into quite a few languages.
Inventory Management and Purchasing
- 1-click BOM - Browser extensions that automates purchasing and part searching.
- Partsbox.io - Web service to manage your part inventory with a nice user interface and Octopart integration.
- Partkeepr - Open source web service for managing your part inventory with parametric search and automatic datasheet import.
- Part-DB - Another open source web service for managing part inventory with a permission system and a good barcode generator.
PCB Batching Services
- PCB Shopper - Comparison service for quite a lot of different PCB batching and assembly services.
- OSH Park - Low cost PCB batching service with high quality boards with a signature purple silkscreen.
- Aisler - Affordable quality circuit boards made in and shipped from Europe (Germany).
- Dirty PCBs - Low cost PCB batching service that prides itself on its "dirty" quality.
- Seeed Studio Fusion - Cheap PCB manufacturing also in large quantities, consulting services
- OctoPrint - Web interface for 3D printer.
- PrintRun - Pure Python 3d printing host software.
- Repetier - Place, slice, preview and print.
- ReplicatorG - Open source 3D printing program.
- Makerbot Desktop - Discover, manage and share your 3D prints.
Online 3D Model Repositories
From 3D printer manufacturer:
- 3D Model Free
- 3D Via
- MakerBot Digital Store
- Pinshape - Find, share and sell 3D print files.
On Demand 3D Printing Services
- Open source Photogrammetry: collection of photogrammetry tools
- OpenKinect: open-source software for Kinect sensors
- VSFM: image reconstruction
- AliceVison: photogrammetry software
- ReconstructMe: real-time 3D reconstruction
- Skanect: easy to use and compatible with different Primesense-based scanners
- Recap: Autodesk software for 3D reconstruction, includes features from the old 123-Scan
- Photoscan: high end software for photogrammetry
- 3DSOM: photogrammetry for products
- TRNIO: cheap photogrammetry software for iOS
- SCANN3D: Android-based photogrammetry,
🆓but subscription needed to export files
- QLone: easy to use app for Android and iOS, poor quality, expensive export options,
🆓export to sketchfab
- Scan-in-a-box: projector-based structured light scanner and software
- Artec Scanners: high-end handeld scanners
- ZEISS T-Scan professional
💰 💰 💰
Low cost Hardware
- Kinect: historical low cost solution, older version from XBOX works with open-source sdk
- Structure Sensor: compact low cost scanner for Apple tablets
- Sense: low-cost low resolution scanner
- Primesense Carmine
Computer Controlled Machining
- Carbide Create: freely distributed after newsletter registration.
- MakerCAM: web based (flash).
- PathCAM: python CAM targeting GRBL 0.8.
- JSCut: browser based CAM with 3D G-code simulation, SVG import.
- EASEL: Browser-based CAD + CAM + Machine Control by Inventables.
- GCode tools: inkscape plugin for generating g-code.
- F-Engrave: generate g-code from a font and a line of text.
- Lithophane generator: generate g-code from a picture.
- Text2GCode: script to generate g-code from a text string.
- FlatFab: design in 2D and build 3D objects.
Convert between languages
- gcode.ws: browser-based g-code analyzer and visualizer
- CAMotics: G-Code simulation/previewing program.
- Pleasant 3D: G-code 3D Previewer.
- NCViewer: browser-based G-code previewer.
- GCode optimizer: Command-line tool that optimizes gcode.
- FlatCAM: open source pcb-specific cam written in python.
- Carbide Rapid PCB: web based tool for pcb milling by Carbide 3D.
- PCB to GCode: Eagle ULP to generate PCBs (now built-in functionality)
- CopperCAM: Windows-based PCB CAM software.
- MasterCAM: advanced CAM tool for professionals.
- Fusion360 CAM: built in CAM into Fusion 360.
- HSMWorks: professional cam for Inventor.
- V-Carve Pro and Aspire: advanced CAM from Vectric, shipped with Shopbots.
- Cut 3D and Cut 2D: low cost wizard-based 2D and 3D CAM from Vectric.
- RhinoCAM: integrated cam for the popular Rhinoceros3D.
- CamBam: cheap but effective hobbist CAM softare
- Chilipeppr: web-based 3D Viewer. Gcode Sender. Jog controls.
- Carbide control software:default control program for the Shapeoko.
- BCNC: Python GRBL CNC command sender.
- Universal GCode Sender: popular option with GRBL written in Java.
- grblControl: GRBL controller application with G-Code visualizer written in Qt.
- CNCJS: web-based g-code sender. Also run on RaspberryPI.
- GRBL Web: web-based g-code sender. Runs on RaspberryPI.
- jCNC: sender and viewer for GRBL and Tinyg.
- goko.fr: Fully featured cross platform GCode sender for Grbl, TinyG and G2.
- LinuxCNC: free Linux based application for controlling and monitoring CNC machines, without the need of a controller.
- GRBL: open-source g-code interpreter for AVR-based micro-controllers.
- Step and alignment tool: cross-platform GCODE debug/step and alignment tool for TinyG and Grbl.
- Half blind dovetails generator: a python script to generate half blind dovetails.
- Nomad by Carbide3D: sturdy desktop machine
- Shapeoko by Carbide3D: lightweight entry level machine
- Chinese 6040 and 3040: low cost duty-heavy machines for engraving metal
- Roland SRM-20
- StepCraft: desktop machines of different sizes with CE certification.
- PocketNC: desktop 5-axis machine, currently on preorder.
- Bantam Tools CNS formerly Othermill: small desktop machine spin-off the MTM class at MIT
- Shopbot Desktop
- OpenBuilds: thousands of projects built on a standard inventory using aluminium extrusions
- Fabricatable Machines: large selection of open-source machines where most parts are made on a CNC.
- Maslow: vertical large-format cnc project.
- Open source extra large CNC: danish fablab making large format cnc machines out of wood.
- Cyclone PCB Factory: mostly 3D-printed CNC machine
- GRBL Shield: an Arduino shield with external Pololu drivers, good for beginners
- TinyG: multi-axis motion control system.
- USBCNC: usb and ethernet control boards with great proprietary control software.
- Planet CNC: usb control board.
- GeckoDrive CNC Controllers: professional CNC controls and drivers.
- Beaglebone Machinekit: linux realtime control board with shield.
- Smoothieboard: general purpose controller, mostly suited for 3D printing.
- Parallel Breakout boards: connected with a parallel port to a PC that runs Linux CNC as the controller
TODO: Spindles, Motors, Sensors, Accessories, Milling bits
- Motedis: aluminium extrusions, cnc parts, fittings
- NIST G-Code guidelines
- G-Code Commands
- RML-1 Programming Guideline: Manual for programming RML G-code for Roland Milling machines
Feeds and speed calculators
- Using Chip Load calculations to improve cutting: by Shopbot, a chip load cheatsheet
- Shopbot Feeds and Speeds Chart: chart for all the tools in the shopbot catalogue
- Carbide Feed and Speed Charts: charts for Carbide milling bits
- Peel milling
- Trochoidal milling:
- Feeds and speeds
- Introduction to Trochoidal Milling
- A Trochoidal milling boost
- The new evolution in Trochoidal milling
- Slicing and trochoidal milling
- Trochoidal milling and other milling technique paths: thread on practicalmachinist.com about trochoidal milling
- Trochoidal machining for the high-speed milling of pockets: paper by Wu Shixiong et al.
- Trochoidal milling: paper by M.Otkur, I.Lazoglu.
- Trochoidal milling: investigation of a new approach on uncut chip thickness modeling and cutting force simulation in an alternative path planning strategy: paper by Farbod Akhavan Niaki
- CNC Cookbook
- Autodesk Foundamental of CNC Machining: free book by autodesk covering Fusion CAM
- UM10349: TORMACH PCNC 1100 SERIES 3 OPERATOR MANUAL FOR PATHPILOT: Manual for the popular PCCNC by Tormac
- Fanuc Manuals: Manual for professional CNC Machines
- SIEMENS Manuals: Programming guide for Siemens NC Gcode
Paper / eBooks
- Design for CNC: Furniture Projects and Fabrication Technique: by former Fab Academy instructor Anna Kaziunas France
- CNC Programming Handbook: by Peter Smid, the authoritative book on the subject for professionals
- CNC Trade Secrets: A Guide to CNC Machine Shop Practices: by James A. Harvey, lots of succint tips, recommended for beginners
- Ink/Stitch Open source Inkscape plugin for digital embroidery
- SophieSew Free embroidery design software
Related Awesome Lists
- Awesome Search: search all awesome lists
- Awesome Project Management
- Awesome Arduino
- Awesome 3D Printing
- Awesome VCS Tools
- Awesome Electronics
- Open Electronics
- Awesome Fabrication
Other link collections
Contributions welcome! Read the contribution guidelines first.
To the extent possible under law, original author has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.