A curated list of awesome Microsoft MakeCode guides, hardware, software and resources.
Microsoft MakeCode is a framework for creating programming experiences for beginners. Microsoft MakeCode brings computer science to life for all students with fun projects, immediate results, and both block and text editors for learners at different levels.
- Guides and Learning
- Code Frameworks
- MakeCode Compatible Hardware
- In the news
- MakeCode Development
Guides and Learning
- About Microsoft MakeCode
- Adafruit Learning System Tutorials with MakeCode
- Technical Documentation
- The UF2 File Format - the drag & drop to a flash disk capability.
- MakeCode Maker Documentation
- Microsoft MakeCode Blog
- Adafruit Blog Posts on MakeCode
- /r/MakeCode Subreddit, Reddit - unofficial, community supported.
- Microsoft MakeCode Twitter: @MSMakeCode
- Microsoft MakeCode Forum
- Adafruit Posts on the MakeCode Forum
- Adafruit Discord -- look for the #makecode channel
- Microsoft MakeCode Discord
MakeCode Compatible Hardware
Specific Hardware Platforms
- BBC micro:bit
- Adafruit Circuit Playground Express
- Microsoft Minecraft
- LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3
- Cue by Wonder Workshop.
- Chibi Chip by chibitronics.
- MakeCode Maker - uses a breadboard approach to connecting components.
- Adafruit Compatible Boards
- SparkFun Compatible Boards
- Arduino Compatible Boards
- Beads (Project Brookdale) Compatible Boards
- Other Compatible Boards
- Adding another board
MakeCode Arcade Compatible Hardware
- Adafruit PyGamer
- Adafruit PyBadge
- Adafruit PyBadge LC
- KittenBot Meowbit - a codable Console for Microsoft Makecode Arcade.
- BrainPad Arcade
- Adafruit M4 Board and Screen
- Raspberry Pi Zero and Adafruit Joy Bonnet
- WiFiBoy OK:D51 Arcade - demonstration video on YouTube
- BKLYN Fashion Academy Class of 2019 Shines at Runway Show - wearable technology sponsored by Microsoft’s MakeCode, May 6, 2019
- Cartoon Network, Microsoft MakeCode and Adafruit team up to create new coding projects for kids - by Tracy Brown, LA Times, January 7, 2019.
- Microsoft MakeCode YouTube Channel
- Adafruit MakeCode Videos - includes John Park's MakeCode Minute series.
- Adafruit and John Park's MakeCode Arcade Game of the Week Playlist
- Behind the MakeCode Hardware - Microphone on Circuit Playground Express - narrated by Shawn Hymel.
- Behind the MakeCode Hardware - Infrared on the Circuit Playground Express - narrated by Shawn Hymel.
- Behind the MakeCode Hardware - Light Sensor on the Circuit Playground Express - narrated by Shawn Hymel.
- Creating Targets - new hardware platforms for MakeCode
- Creating Extensions - an extension is like a plug-in, providing specific functionality for hardware or software.
- MakeCode Arcade Developer Tips and Tricks
- MakeCode PTX GitHub for Adafruit boards
- MakeCode PTX GitHub for Arcade
Contributions and suggestions are always welcome! Please make GitHub pull requests to modify Awesome MakeCode.
License & Trademarks
To the extent possible under law, the authors have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.