Cascadia Code + Nerd Fonts
Can we add Nerd Fonts to the Cascadia Code font using a GitHub Action?
The answer, it turns out, is yes.
I wrote a blog post with more details about how this works.
⚠Cascadia is now also part of Nerd Fonts' prepatched font repository. You can grab it there, and it is almost what you find as Delugia font here. There are some small differences, see below.
What is Nerd Fonts anyway?
Nerd Fonts takes popular programming fonts and adds a bunch of Glyphs. They include all the absolutely indispensable symbols all nerds need in their favorite fonts. Go to their repository or have a look at the overview.
Typically they come in two flavours:
- Powerline (adds the symbols needed to have a basic Powerline and some more.)
- Complete (adds even more Powerline symbols and all other symbols Nerd Fonts has collected.)
Powerline includes these symbols:
Complete includes these symbols additionally:
- Powerline Extra Symbols
- Font Awesome and Extension
- Power Symbols
- Material Design Icons
- Font Logos
Which font faces are available
These three font versions are generated from Cascadia Code:
- Delugia Powerline Basic powerline glyphs, monospaced font
- Delugia Complete All Nerd Fonts glyphs, monospaced font
- Delugia Book All Nerd Fonts glyphs, proportional font (not recommended for coding/console)
And the following two faces are generated from Cascadia Mono and don't have ligatures:
- Delugia Mono Powerline Basic powerline glyphs, monospaced font
- Delugia Mono Complete All Nerd Fonts glyphs, monospaced font
All of these are available in light, regular, and bold weights. Complemented by matching italic fonts.
How is Delugia special?
Compared with other patched versions of Cascadia you will find
- Added symbols
⚡(0u26A1) used with some popular Powerline setups
- All added symbols centered on visual middle of the font (not a bit higher)
- Light and bold weight
- Italic faces
How to use
You can download the patched fonts from the Releases page of this
repo and install them as you would any other font. Once installed the font can be referenced as
So if, for example, you want to use it in Windows Terminal you should add this line to your profiles.json
"fontFace" : "Delugia Complete",
Scoop installation needs to be repaired after a naming change, I guess.
iwr -useb get.scoop.sh | iex
scoop bucket add nerd-fonts
scoop install sudo
sudo scoop install Delugia-Nerd-Fontor
sudo scoop install Delugia-Nerd-Font-Complete
Example for Delugia on the command line
I know basically nothing about patching fonts so all contributions are 🦸 welcome.
The naming changed a bit when we added the light and bold fonts. To reduce the font name length the 'Nerd Font' has been dropped out of the (file) names. The actual naming scheme changed to accommodate the new fonts and for your convenience we pack fonts that one particular user might want to use together in a zip archive.