Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Clone this wiki locally
I had posted a question on Forrst, and it got me wondering how best to go about keeping track of an applications core version and pushing updates ( not using GIT ).
Using git would be ideal if I was the one managing a single web application. Obviously using Git would complicate things for beginner users. But its likely that Extension and Theme developers will be using some form of source control.
I then set off to build a developer portal to manage this versioning.
- Contributors can register/login
- They see a list of their public repositories and can hide unrelated repos
- Releases must be tagged
- Choose weather they are submitting a theme, or extension
- If a new release has been tagged then the extension can be Versioned
- Cached API calls to Github
- Cached headers for client
- Nightly download through master branch
- Download counter
- All themes and extensions are central
- Privately managed
- Source code is hosted on Github
- Extensions are version
Later on I will collect ratings, statistics such as number of downloads and compatibility. You will also be able to look up all extensions from an author, and search categories.
Depending on demand I may integrate other Public Git Hosting services such as Bitbucket.