To get started, check out http://getbootstrap.com!
Three quick start options are available:
- Download the latest release.
- Clone the repo:
git clone git://github.com/twbs/bootstrap.git.
- Install with Bower:
bower install bootstrap.
Read the Getting Started page for information on the framework contents, templates and examples, and more.
Bugs and feature requests
Running documentation locally
- If necessary, install Jekyll (requires v1.x).
- From the root
jekyll servein the command line.
Windows users: run
chcp 65001first to change the command prompt's character encoding (code page) to UTF-8 so Jekyll runs without errors.
- Windows users: run
- Open http://localhost:9001 in your browser, and voilà.
Learn more about using Jekyll by reading their documentation.
Documentation for previous releases
Documentation for v2.3.2 has been made available for the time being at http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/ while folks transition to Bootstrap 3.
Previous releases and their documentation are also available for download.
Bootstrap uses Grunt with convenient methods for working with the framework. It's how we compile our code, run tests, and more. To use it, install the required dependencies as directed and then run some Grunt commands.
From the command line:
npm install -g grunt-cli.
- Install the necessary local dependencies via
When completed, you'll be able to run the various Grunt commands provided from the command line.
npm? Don't have node installed? That's a-okay. npm stands for node packaged modules and is a way to manage development dependencies through node.js. Download and install node.js before proceeding.
Available Grunt commands
This is a convenience method for watching just Less files and automatically building them whenever you save.
Should you encounter problems with installing dependencies or running Grunt commands, uninstall all previous dependency versions (global and local). Then, rerun
Please read through our guidelines for contributing to Bootstrap. Included are directions for opening issues, coding standards, and notes on development.
Keep track of development and community news.
- Follow @twbootstrap on Twitter.
- Read and subscribe to the The Official Bootstrap Blog.
- Have a question that's not a feature request or bug report? Ask on the mailing list.
- Chat with fellow Bootstrappers in IRC. On the
irc.freenode.netserver, in the
For transparency and insight into our release cycle, and for striving to maintain backward compatibility, Bootstrap will be maintained under the Semantic Versioning guidelines as much as possible.
Releases will be numbered with the following format:
And constructed with the following guidelines:
- Breaking backward compatibility bumps the major (and resets the minor and patch)
- New additions without breaking backward compatibility bumps the minor (and resets the patch)
- Bug fixes and misc changes bumps the patch
For more information on SemVer, please visit http://semver.org/.
Copyright and license
Copyright 2012 Twitter, Inc under the Apache 2.0 license.