App location: http://tesseractapp.herokuapp.com/ Note: Github is currently the only app I have pointed to the production URL. Twitter and Facebook are pointed to localhost. This means only Github and Google will work on this URL. Google is currently having issues running on production. Still investigating.
The idea for this app came from a request in the NWA Developer Group on Facebook for a google document or other place where a potential employer could look for developers in the area that are currently available for freelance work. We have communication groups on Facebook and LinkedIn but it's not really easy to see what everyone's specialties are and it's possible to determine passively if they are available for work or not. This application will hope to be the platform for that information.
- Developers can create a profile that lists their skills as well as their availability. This is not meant to be a duplicate of LinkedIn. It is meant to be a location for potential employers to find developers with a certain skill in the area and determine if they are available for freelance work.
- Skills and Developers will be searchable.
- It will be (at least at first) a closed community. Users will go the the login page and register and an admin will approve their account before they have access. Users will have to follow the rules of the application and be in good public standing in order to maintain access to the application. (example: an employer has a habit of late payments to developer. They can be reported and removed from the community.)
- It will be developer driven and developer centric. Employers will be searching out and competing for developers. Developers will not be competing for employers. The active nature of the app will fall on the Employers and Recruiters. The passive nature of the app will fall on the Developers.
- Twitter authentication
- Facebook authentication
- GitHub authentication
- 3 User types: Developer, Employer, Recruiter
- Developer is allowed to list 10 skills. Ordered. Top 3 are most important
- Email contact will not be listed on developer profile. Potential employer or recruiter will click contact developer and a web form will be shown. Developers can set a 'Do not disturb' setting on their account
- Developers can anonymously rate employers. On a scale from I will never work for this person again to I cannot wait to work for this person again. 5 star rating probably.
- Will track number of times a developer has been contacted by a potential employer
- Will track number of page views for a developer's profile
- Developers must post their hourly rate and/or if they are willing to do flat rate projects.
- Developer rates will be shown in short form to potential employers in a Yelp like $ - $$$$
- Developers can set their hourly rate to 'hard' or 'negotiable'
- Developers will be able to set 4 different availability statuses (Available For Work, 3 months availability (some point between now and 3 months), 6 months availability (some point between now and 6 months), Unavailable For Work)
- Links to Developer's social profiles (if they provide them)
- List degrees and certifications if available. However if there are none it won't be negatively shown "Degrees: None" or "Certifications: None". They will just not be listed. It will be understood that those are extra qualifications and are not necessarily indicative of developer quality. Developer's previous work and references will speak to quality of developer.
- Donate buttons
- Ability to set rate within a range. ($40/hour - $90/hour)
- Ability to set 'Contact me for rate' (although setting a rate or rate range will be encouraged and preferred)
- LinkedIn Authentication
- I am debating on adding a 'job board' (thoughts? I am on the fence.)
Copyright (c) 2012 Addam Hardy email@example.com
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.