Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Release Notes: 0.42
What's New in Release 0.42
- Editor color schemes: Find themes in Extension Manager, and instantly switch between them using View > Themes. Learn how to create a theme.
- Built-in dark mode: Choose the built-in "Brackets Dark" theme for easy access to a nighttime color palette. Third-party themes can also trigger "dark mode," dimming many parts of the Brackets automatically without needing to style everything manually.
- Configure font settings: Use View > Themes to set a custom font and font size (the font must be installed in your OS).
- Switch language/syntax mode of a single file: Use the language indicator in the status bar as a dropdown to override the language Brackets chose to treat a file as. (These changes are not saved when you close the file; use preferences to permanently treat all files with a certain extension as a different language).
- Shortcut to force-reload page: Ctrl-Shift-R (Win) or Cmd-Shift-R (Mac) will reload the entire page but preserve the Live Preview connection. (Not shown in menu).
Replace in Files
- Check/uncheck all matches for a file: The headings for each file include a checkbox for quickly including or excluding all matches in the file.
- Extension Management
- #8561, #8460: Fixed 0.41 bugs where some files showed no JS hints.
Notification when hints ignore a certain file due to problems: Afterward, the file will automatically be added to the
"jscodehints.detectedExclusions"preference; it will continue to be ignored until you remove it from that list.
- Ongoing Research (not implemented yet)
Brackets's default appearance should be unchanged, but you can now use themes to customize your color scheme & editor font (see above).
Extension descriptions - Extension descriptions beyond 200 characters are now hidden with "..." by default. Users can click to expand and see the full description. The extension's
keywords metadata is no longer shown in Extension Manager (but still used when searching/filtering the listing).
New/Improved Extensibility APIs
Extension localization - Extensions can now indicate which languages they are localized for by including an
i18n field in package.json. The supported languages are indicated in Extension Manager below the extension's description.
Code hints - Code hint providers that are disabled via preferences will automatically not be called by CodeHintManager. However, if your provider does any additional work on its own, you should listen for changes to the
"codehint.<your provider id>" and
- Activity Monitor in Mavericks (OS X 10.9) says the Brackets Helper process is "Not Responding" even when it's working normally (#5794). You can safely ignore this unless Brackets is actually failing to respond when you click or type text.
- #2272: Windows Vista may not allow the Brackets installer to run (you may not see any error message). To work around this, right-click the installer file, choose Properties, and click the Unblock button.
- Debug > Run Tests is disabled in the installer/DMG distributions of Brackets, because the unit test code is not included. To run unit tests, pull Brackets from GitHub instead.
Community contributions to Brackets
- Special thanks to Miguel Castillo for his major effort contributing the Themes functionality
- Switch language/syntax mode of a single file in part by Arzhan "kai" Kinzhalin (Intel Corp) and Jake Stoeffler
- Create Traditional Chinese translation by Pei-Tang Huang
- Create Galician translation by Iván Barcia
- Show supported translations of each extension in Extension Manager by Marcel Gerber
- Collapse long extension descriptions by Triangle717
- Shortcut to reload page during Live Preview by Malte Muth
- Fix Live Preview Highlight when Live Preview started on a CSS file by Marcel Gerber
- Don't leave trailing whitespace after auto-indenting a close brace by Andrew MacKenzie
"sortDirectoriesFirst": truesetting with numbered folder names by Tomás Malbrán
background-blend-modeto CSS code hints by coliff
text-renderingto CSS code hints by Steffen Bruchmann
Add more values to
cursorCSS code hints by Amin Ullah Khan
- Hide .sass-cache folder from view by Andrew MacKenzie
- Highlight .bash files as Bash, and .ino files as C++ by Ty-Lucas Kelley
- Highlight .xaml files as XML by Triangle717
- Correct error message when renaming/deleting folder fails by Marcel Gerber
- Cleanup: Simplify "$" replacement code in FindUtils by Marcel Gerber
- Themes: Fix tab order in Themes dialog by Marcel Gerber
- Themes: Dark theme fixes by Tomás Malbrán
- Add info to Getting Started docs: What is a project, how to switch projects by Marcel Gerber
- Cleanup: Remove unused strings by Marcel Gerber
- Themes: Fix menu label string by Triangle717
- Fix missing space in string by Marcel Gerber
- Simplified Chinese translation update by fengdi
- Croatian translation update by Kruno H
- Czech translation update (and) by kvarel
- Dutch translation update by githrdw
- Finnish translation update (and) by valtlait
- German translation update by Marcel Gerber
- Italian translation update (and) by Denisov21
- Korean translation update by Yongmin Hong
- Persian translation update by Mohammad Yaghobi
- Romanian translation update by Micleusanu Nicu
- Russian translation update by Maxim Khlobystov
- Spanish translation update by Chema Balsas
- Swedish translation update by Mikael Jorhult
Pulling source code from Git
- Rebuilding brackets-shell is not required for this sprint.
- Some submodules were updated this sprint. Run
git submodule updateto ensure your source tree is fully up to date.
Bugs fixed in Release 0.42
For details on the bugs addressed, please refer to closed Release 0.42 bugs. Not all fixed bugs will be caught by this search query, however.