Release Notes: Sprint 37
Clone this wiki locally
What's New in Sprint 37
- Code-signed builds (Mac & Win): Eliminates some warnings on launch and install. Gatekeeper no longer prevents launching Brackets by default on Mac.
- Exclude files/folders from find in files: Choose file names, paths, or wildcards to exclude from Find in Files searches.
- New preferences: proxy server, insert code hints on tab, project tree folder sorting, more: Notably, this means it's now possible to install extensions via Extension Manager if your Internet access is behind a proxy server. See link for full list of preferences.
- Revamped preferences APIs ready for extensions to use: See documentation for details.
Migrate view state to new preference storage format: A new
state.jsonfile stores preferences that are less likely to be shared across machines.
- Ongoing Research (not enabled yet)
- Open inline CSS easing editor on empty timing functions: Graphically create CSS transition easing curves/steps without having to remember or write out the full syntax first.
- Live Preview launches and connects to Chrome more reliably
- Fixed slow performance when Find in Files results panel left open for long periods of time
- Fixed issue with noticing external file changes during some 'bulk' operations like git checkout
- Fixed #6951: Unable to install extensions or run Live Preview on Windows XP
- Ensure Live Preview works on upcoming Chrome 34 release
Working Files list - Options to change sort order have been moved from the context menu into a new settings menu, accessed via the gear icon in the Working Files header.
Preferences - Brackets offers new APIs for storing preferences in a user-accessible JSON format, and the old preferences APIs are now deprecated. Preferences are now divided into settings and "view state," each stored separately. Setting-type preferences provide change events that you should listen to for updates. See [full Preferences API documentation] for details, including how to migrate existing user preferences from the old system.
File System - Paths with unsupported Windows-style separators ("\" instead of "/") are now explicitly rejected immediately; previously they were accepted by FileSystem but behaved brokenly in various ways. Brackets APIs generally all returned "/"-based paths already, though one that previously did not -
FileSystem.showOpenDialog() in single-select mode - has been changed to match this format.
jQuery - Upgraded from 2.0.1 to 2.1.0
Editor - The
"optionChange" event now uses the Brackets names for the options, rather than the CodeMirror names (for example "wordWrap" rather than "lineWrapping"). See Editor.js for the complete list.
Code Hints -
CodeHintManager.setInsertHintOnTab() has been removed. It is replaced with the
insertHintOnTab user preference.
New/Improved Extensibility APIs
Preferences - See information above on the new APIs and their capabilities.
- Activity Monitor in Mavericks (OS X 10.9) says the Brackets Helper process is "Not Responding" even when it's working normally (#5794). You can safely ignore this unless Brackets is actually failing to respond when you click or type text.
- On Windows XP, Brackets will not detect external file changes instantly. It behaves similarly to Sprint 35 and earlier releases - changes are detected upon window activation, and the folder tree must be manually refreshed.
- #2272: Windows Vista may not allow the Brackets installer to run (you may not see any error message). To work around this, right-click the installer file, choose Properties, and click the Unblock button.
- #4362: Slow startup of Brackets and Live Preview on Windows due to Chrome proxy settings. See workaround.
- Debug > Run Tests is disabled in the installer/DMG distributions of Brackets, because the unit test code is not included. To run unit tests, pull Brackets from GitHub instead.
Community contributions to Brackets
- Allow inline cubic-bezier/steps editor on empty timing functions by Marcel Gerber
- Keep Find in Files results in predictably sorted order (and) by Tomás Malbrán
- Move Working Files sort options from context menu to new settings dropdown by Alessandro Artoni (followup fixes by Tomás Malbrán)
- New preference: Insert code hints with Tab by Tomás Malbrán
- New preference: Sort directories to top in file tree (vs. intermingled with files) by Tomás Malbrán
- New preferences: Disable 'smart indent'; disable auto-inserting HTML close tags by Tomás Malbrán
- If preferences JSON is invalid, show a warning and then run without the setting changes from that file by Arzhan "kai" Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
Replace can use
$&to insert whole regexp match by Marcel Gerber
- Allow specifying a port number in Live Preview custom server URL by andoband
- Add Indonesian translation (and) by Nasaruddin and Resi Respati
- Disable Close Others context menu items when irrelevant by Marcel Gerber
- Strip leading/trailing whitespace from extension URL by Marcel Gerber
- OS-specific labels for "Show in OS" context menu item by Marcel Gerber
- Make Overwrite cursor mode visually distinct from Insert mode (and) by Bernhard Sirlinger
- Don't hide user-editable source control files like .gitignore by Tom Van Schoor
- Find in Files: Expand/collapse all sections via Ctrl/Cmd-click by Sathyamoorthi
- Bezier inline editor: tab between points to move them with keyboard by Marcel Gerber
Add CSS value code hints for
flex-basisproperties by Marcel Gerber
- Highlight .ascx files (ASP.NET User Controls) as plain HTML by Clay Miller
- Highlight .plist (Property List) files as XML by Clay Miller
- Fix some native memory leaks on Mac by Brandon Jones
- Fix font zoom viewport for new CodeMirror (and) by Tomás Malbrán
- Fix #6828: Return Brackets-style paths from extension-installation code by Arzhan "kai" Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
- Fix Toggle Line Comment in JSON files by Marcel Gerber
- Prep work for supporting native menubar on Linux (not enabled yet) by MattSturgeon
- Fix #6612: Reset scroll position in Find in Files results more reliably by Tomás Malbrán
- Fix #5923: Don't scroll hidden list tab in Extension Manager by Marcel Gerber
- Update jQuery to 2.1.0 (from 2.0.1) by Bernhard Sirlinger
- Fix failing ProjectManager unit test by Lance Campbell
- Fix CodeInspection unit tests on non-English locales by Bernhard Sirlinger
- Code cleanup: Close Others context menu by Marcel Gerber
- Code cleanup: Remove unneeeded .livehtml flag by Marcel Gerber
- Code cleanup: Remove duplicate CSS code hint value by Bernhard Sirlinger
Code cleanup: Avoid
.not.toBe(null)in unit tests by Michael Hernandez (Intel Corp)
- setup_for_hacking script: Support git repo locations with spaces in path on Windows by Andrew Dal Cin
- Fix brackets-shell build script on Mac case-sensitive file systems by Martin Prins
- Fix #6452: Prevent Debug > Reload Brackets from being run re-entrantly by Lance Campbell
- Use names from each language's own locale in the Debug > Switch Language UI by Michael Hernandez (Intel Corp)
- Czech translation update by kvarel
- German translation update by Marcel Gerber
- Persian-Farsi translation update by Mohammad Yaghobi
- Polish translation update by Olgierd Grzyb
- Romanian translation update by Micleusanu Nicu
- Spanish translation update by Tomás Malbrán
- Russian translation fix by wpt
- Russian translation fix by Arzhan "kai" Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
- Update localization instructions by Michael Hernandez (Intel Corp)
Pulling source code from Git
- Recommended: rebuild or reinstall an updated brackets-shell (no critical updates, but there are bugfixes).
- Some submodules were updated this sprint. Run
git submodule updateto ensure your source tree is fully up to date.
Bugs fixed in Sprint 37
For details on the bugs addressed, please refer to closed sprint 37 bugs. Not all fixed bugs will be caught by this search query, however.