Essential is a full-stack web application created to assist Seattle's homeless and low-income community with finding shelter and hot meals near their current locations. The project utilizes:
- Ruby on Rails framework
- Yelp API and search
- data-scraping technology gathering targets from www.resourcehouse.com
- powerful geolocation formula designed in-house
The Essential team was inspired by a shared motivation to focus our project energies on a relevant, community-service based app that is functional immediately upon deployment. Our goal is to secure a relevant solution to a local issue.
Out of the box, Essential is ready to use by either clicking on the shelter or food icon, or typing a specific search into the form on the home page. By creating a free account, the user is able to save their favorite resources and leave useful feedback on their experience.
We need your support! The Essential Project is an open-source movement ready to expand its functionality to any metropolis with a struggling low-income community. You can also add to the Seattle resources database by using the 'Adding a Resource' feature on the application.
- Fork it!
- Create your feature branch: git checkout -b my-new-feature
- Commit your changes: git commit -am 'Add some feature'
- Push to the branch: git push origin my-new-feature
- Submit a pull request :D