Alexander Dymo's Homebrew
Homebrew tap to build KDE 4 apps on Mac OS. Based on https://github.com/somekool/homebrew but actually works. Note, this is not a full KDE distribution. It contains only KDE apps that this project's maintainers actually use.
Available stable apps:
- Massif Visualizer
If you'd like to try KDE 5 versions, try Harald Fernengel's tap: https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5
Prepare your environment:
- Append these codes to your
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIRS:$HOME/Library/Preferences/KDE:/usr/local/kde4 export PATH=/usr/local/kde4/bin:$PATH export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/kde4/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH launchctl setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/kde4/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH export XDG_DATA_HOME=$HOME/Library/Preferences/KDE/share export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/kde4/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
- If you were using this tap before Feb 17, 2014, kde stuff were installed to
/usr/localand you cannot uninstall them. Which means your
/usr/localis already messed up. Please backup everything important,
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/*, reinstall homebrew and all your formulas, and anything else you put under
- Now kde stuff are installed to
/usr/local/kde4, you still cannot uninstall single kde formula, but you can safely nuke that directory and reinstall kde formulas you want to keep.
- We're working on a solution to make kde formulas install to their own kegs.
Tap my KDE repository:
brew tap adymo/kde
Compile Qt with D-Bus and Qt3 support. KDE will not work without that.
brew uninstall qt brew install qt --with-d-bus --with-qt3support
Install KDE applications
brew install kate brew install kdevelop brew install kdevelop-ruby brew install ...
mkdir -p ~/Library/LaunchAgents # substitute Cellar/d-bus/1.8.0 below with your actual dbus installation dir ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/d-bus/1.8.0/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents launchctl load -w ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
Update system configuration:
- relogin or restart your system
kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental update-mime-database /usr/local/share/mime update-mime-database /usr/local/kde4/share/mime
Create application links (so that Finder and Launchpad see KDE apps):
Run KDE apps from Launchpad or from command line:
- if kbuildsycoca4 never finishes, then stop dbus, remove its lock file (run
env | grep DBUSto find out where it is) and start dbus again
- if dbus fails to start, check whether you have
- sometimes after App Store run upgrades,
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATHwill be reset, then some plugins will fail to load, run
launchctl setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/kde4/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATHin terminal to fix
- if kbuildsycoca or any other KDE app hangs during start, upgrade d-bus or recompile dbus from sources (installations from bottles was broken at some point, it was missing important configuration files):
brew uninstall dbus && brew install dbus --build-from-source