Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security.
It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
- OpenSSL development package or libgcrypt development package.
- Airmon-ng (Linux) requires ethtool.
- On windows, cygwin has to be used and it also requires w32api package.
- Linux: LibNetlink 1 or 3. It can be disabled by setting the flag 'libnl' to false.
- pkg-config (pkgconf on FreeBSD)
- FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris and OS X with macports: gmake
- Linux/Cygwin: make and Standard C++ Library development package (Debian: libstdc++-dev)
- If you want SSID filtering with regular expression in airodump-ng (-essid-regex) pcre development package is required.
- If you want to use airolib-ng and '-r' option in aircrack-ng, SQLite development package >= 3.3.17 (3.6.X version or better is recommended)
- If you want to use Airpcap, the 'developer' directory from the CD is required.
- For best performance on FreeBSD (50-70% more), install gcc5 via: pkg install gcc5 Then compile with: gmake CC=gcc5 CXX=g++5
Resolving the basic requirements
Below are instructions for installing the basic requirements to build
aircrack-ng for a number of operating systems.
Cygwin requires the full path to the
setup.exe utility, in order to
automate the installation of the necessary packages. In addition, it
requires the location of your installation, a path to the cached
packages download location, and a mirror URL.
An example of automatically installing all the required dependencies is as follows:
`c:\cygwin\setup-x86.exe -qnNdO -R C:/cygwin -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com -l C:/cygwin/var/cache/setup -P autoconf -P automake -P bison -P gcc-core -P gcc-g++ -P mingw-runtime -P mingw-binutils -P mingw-gcc-core -P mingw-gcc-g++ -P mingw-pthreads -P mingw-w32api -P libtool -P make -P python -P gettext-devel -P gettext -P intltool -P libiconv -P pkg-config -P git -P wget -P curl -P libpcre-devel -P openssl-devel -P libsqlite3-devel`
`sudo apt install build-essential autoconf automake libtool pkg-config libnl-3-dev libssl-dev libpcre3-dev`
FreeBSD using PKG
`pkg install autoconf automake libtool pkgconf sqlite3 git python3`
`pacman -Sy autoconf automake1.15 libtool msys2-w32api-headers msys2-w32api-runtime pkg-config git python openssl-devel openssl libopenssl msys2-runtime-devel gcc binutils make pcre-devel libsqlite-devel`
aircrack-ng, the Autotools build system is utilized. Autotools replaces
the older method of compilation.
NOTE: If utilizing a developer version, eg: one checked out from source control,
you will need to run a pre-
configure script. The script to use is one of the
autoreconf -i or
env NOCONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh.
./configure the project for building with the appropriate options specified
for your environment:
TIP: If the above fails, please see above about developer source control versions.
Next, compile the project (respecting if
gmake is needed):
Compilation on *BSD or Solaris:
Finally, the additional targets listed below may be of use in your environment:
Execute all unit testing:
Strip debugging symbols:
When configuring, the following flags can be used and combined to adjust the suite to your choosing:
with-airpcap=DIR: needed for supporting airpcap devices on windows (cygwin or msys2 only) Replace DIR above with the absolute location to the root of the extracted source code from the Airpcap CD or downloaded SDK available online.
with-experimental: needed to compile
wesside-ng. Building besside-ng-crawler requires LibPCAP (development package). On debian based distro, install libpcap-dev
with-ext-scripts: needed to build
airdrop-ng. Note: Experimental. Each script has its own dependences. Note: It's only required in install phase.
with-gcrypt: Use libgcrypt crypto library instead of the default OpenSSL. And also use internal fast sha1 implementation (borrowed from GIT) Dependency (Debian): libgcrypt20-dev
with-duma: Compile with DUMA support. DUMA is a library to detect buffer overruns and under-runs. Dependencies (debian): duma
with-xcode: Set this flag to true to compile on OS X with Xcode 7+.
Configure and compiling:
Compiling wth gcrypt:
Installing, with external scripts:
./configure --with-experimental --with-ext-scripts
Testing (with sqlite, experimental and pcre)
Compiling on OS X with macports (and all options):
Compiling on OS X 10.10 with XCode 7.1 and Homebrew:
env CC=gcc-4.9 CXX=g++-4.9 ./configure
NOTE: Older XCode ships with a version of LLVM that does not support CPU feature detection; which causes the
./configureto fail. To work around this older LLVM, it is required that a different compile suite is used, such as GCC or a newer LLVM from Homebrew.
If you wish to use OpenSSL from Homebrew, you may need to specify the location to its' installation. To figure out where OpenSSL lives, run:
brew --prefix openssl
Use the output above as the DIR for
env CC=gcc-4.9 CXX=g++-4.9 ./configure --with-openssl=DIR
Compiling on FreeBSD with better performance
env CC=gcc5 CXX=g++5 ./configure
Automatic detection of CPU optimization is done at run time. This behavior is desirable when packaging Aircrack-ng (for a Linux or other distribution.)
Also, in some cases it may be desired to provide your own flags completely and
not having the suite auto-detect a number of optimizations. To do this, add
the additional flag
--without-opt to the
Run-time location of SIMD binaries
Typically, the full path that is compiled in to the
aircrack-ng binary is
/usr/libexec/aircrack-ng. However, during development and/or packaging, it
may be of use to specify a path that is dynamic in nature.
The environment variable
AIRCRACK_LIBEXEC_PATH may be used to specify the
location of the SIMD-optimized binaries. An example of such use is as
env AIRCRACK_LIBEXEC_PATH=/home/user/dev/aircrack-ng/src ./src/aircrack-ng
Using precompiled binaries
- Use your package manager to download aircrack-ng
- In most cases, they have an old version.
- Install the appropriate "monitor" driver for your card (standard drivers doesn't work for capturing data).
- aircrack-ng suite is command line tools. So, you have to open a commandline
Start menu -> Run... -> cmd.exethen use them
- Run the executables without any parameters to have help
Documentation, tutorials, ... can be found on https://www.aircrack-ng.org
See also manpages and the forum.
For further information check the README file