InstaSearch - Eclipse plug-in for quick code search
InstaSearch is an Eclipse IDE plug-in for performing quick and advanced search of workspace files. It indexes files using Lucene and keeps the index up to date automatically. The search is performed instantly as-you-type and resulting files are displayed in an Eclipse view.
Each file then can be previewed using few most matching and relevant lines. A double-click on the match leads to the matching line in the file.
Download / Installation
In Eclipse please install using the Eclipse Marketplace from the Help menu (how-to)
Alternatively you can install using the update site
Java 1.7 or newer is required
(Add to favorites on Eclipse Marketplace.)
Once InstaSearch is successfully installed, you'll see a nice little "InstaSearch" search tab appear at the bottom:
You can also click the
Search menu option at the top -->
- Instantly shows search results
- Shows a preview using relevant lines
- Periodically updates the index
- Matches partial words (e.g. case in CamelCase)
- Opens and highlights matches in files
- Searches JAR source attachments
- Supports filtering by extension/project/working set
Lucene query syntax can be used for searching. This includes:
- Wildcard searches
- Excluding words
- Fuzzy searches to find similar matches
- Limit by location - directory, projects or working set
proj:MyProject,OtherProject application init
ws:MyWorkingSet dir:src init
- Limit by filename, extension or modification time
name:app* ext:java,xml,txt modified:yesterday
- Search by file name initials (e.g. FOS to find FileOutputStream.java)
To exclude some folders from search indexing, mark them as Derived in the folder's properties. There are also useful Eclipse Search Tips.
Note: Fuzzy search is started automatically if no exact matches are found
Building and Developing
Build using Maven from project root:
To develop you will need Eclipse (3.7+) with Plug-In Development Environment (PDE) installed:
- Use File -> Import -> Existing Projects to import all instasearch projects
- To run or debug right click on 'instasearch' project and select Run As -> Eclipse Application
To use the plug-in in existing Eclipse installation do:
- Right click on instasearch project, Export -> Deployable plug-ins
- Choose an existing Eclipse installation directory. Restart
Author: Andrejs Jermakovics
Contributions are very welcome so feel free to get in touch or create a pull request.
YourKit is supporting InstaSearch open source project with its full-featured Java Profiler.
YourKit, LLC is the creator of innovative and intelligent tools for profiling
Java and .NET applications. Take a look at YourKit's leading software products:
YourKit Java Profiler and YourKit .NET Profiler.