Your Pull requests are welcome! Let's make this the awesomest resource for Ruby
- Awesome Ruby
- Environment Management
- Package Management
- Date and Time
- Text Processing
- Natural Language Processing
- Command-line Tools
- Database Drivers
- Web Frameworks
- RESTful API
- Authentication and OAuth
- Template Engine
- Asset Management
- URL Manipulation
- HTML Manipulation
- Web Crawling
- Web Content Extracting
- Data Validation
- Build Tools
- Admin Panels
- Processes and Threads
- Game Development
- Code Analysis and Linter
- Debugging Tools
- Science and Data Analysis
- Data Visualization
- Machine Learning
- Functional Programming
- Third-party APIs
- DevOps Tools
- Foreign Function Interface
- High Performance
- Algorithms and Design Patterns
- Editor Plugins
Libraries for Ruby version and environment management.
Libraries for package and dependency management.
- RubyGems - RubyGems is a package manager for the Ruby programming language that provides a standard format for distributing Ruby programs and libraries
Libraries to create packaged executables for release distribution.
Libraries for file manipulation and MIME type detection.
Date and Time
Libraries for working with dates and times.
Libraries for parsing and manipulating texts.
Natural Language Processing
Libraries for working with human languages.
Libraries for generating project documentation.
Libraries for storing configuration options.
Libraries for building command-line application.
Command-line Application Development
Libraries for manipulating images.
- rmagick An interface to the ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick image processing libraries
- minimagick Minified version of rmagick
- chunky_png Read/write access to PNG images in pure Ruby
- image_optim Optimize images using multiple utilities
- magickly image manipulation as a (plugin-able) service
Libraries for manipulating video and GIFs.
- streamio-ffmpeg Simple yet powerful ruby ffmpeg wrapper for reading metadata and transcoding movies
Libraries for geocoding addresses and working with latitudes and longitudes.
- geocoder Complete Ruby geocoding solution
- Geokit - Geokit gem provides geocoding and distance/heading calculations.
Libraries for working with HTTP.
- httparty Makes http fun again!
- faraday Simple, but flexible HTTP client library, with support for multiple backends.
- http A simple Ruby DSL for making HTTP requests
- excon Usable, fast, simple HTTP(S) 1.1 for Ruby
- nestful Simple Ruby HTTP/REST client with a sane API
App server interface
- puma A simple, fast, threaded, and highly concurrent HTTP 1.1 server for Ruby/Rack applications.
- thin A thin and fast web server
- trinidad Run Rails or Rack applications within an embedded Apache Tomcat container.
- unicorn An HTTP server for Rack applications designed to only serve fast clients.
- passenger A modern web server and application server for Ruby, Python and Node.js.
- pow Pow treats files and directories as ruby objects giving you more power and flexibility.
Libraties for connecting and operating databases.
Libraries that implement Object-Relational Mapping or datamapping techniques.
- Mongoid - Mongoid (pronounced mann-goyd) is an Object-Document-Mapper (ODM) for MongoDB written in Ruby.
Web development frameworks.
- Ruby On Rails - Ruby on Rails is a full-stack web framework optimized for programmer happiness and sustainable productivity
- Sinatra - Sinatra is a DSL for quickly creating web applications in Ruby with minimal effort.
- Padrino - The Godfather of Sinatra provides a full-stack agnostic framework on top of Sinatra
- Cramp - Cramp is a fully asynchronous real-time web application framework in Ruby
- Lotus - A newborn complete Ruby web framework that is simple, fast and lightweight.
Content management systems
- Refinery An extendable Ruby on Rails CMS that supports Rails 3.2 and 4
- Comfortable Mexican Sofa A powerful Rails 4 CMS Engine
- Browser Humane Content Management for Rails
- Locomotive a brand new CMS system with super sexy UI and cool features
- Radiant A no-fluff, open source content management system
- Nesta A lightweight CMS, implemented in Sinatra
- alchemy_cms the most powerful, user friendly and flexible Rails CMS
Libraries for developing RESTful APIs.
- Grape - An opinionated micro-framework for creating REST-like APIs in Ruby.
- Rails::API - Rails for API only applications
- jbuilder - Create JSON structures via a Builder-style DSL
- rabl - General Ruby templating with json, bson, xml, plist and msgpack support
Authentication and OAuth
Libraries for implementing authentications schemes.
- Devise - Devise is a flexible authentication solution for Rails based on Warden
- Omniauth - OmniAuth is a flexible authentication system utilizing Rack middleware
- Warden - General Rack Authentication Framework
- AuthLogic - A simple ruby authentication solution
- Sorcery - Magical authentication for Rails 3 & 4
- CanCanCan Authorization gem for Rails (continued version of CanCan from ryanb)
- doorkeeper An OAuth 2 provider for Rails
Libraries and tools for templating and lexing.
- Slim A templating lang that reduce the syntax to the essential parts without becoming cryptic.
- slim-rails Rails port of Slim lang
- Haml HTML Abstraction Markup Language - A Markup Haiku
- haml-rails Rails port of Haml lang
Libraries for working with event and task queues.
- Resque A Redis-backed Ruby library for creating background jobs, placing them on multiple queues.
- Delayed::Job — Database backed asynchronous priority queue.
- Qu A Ruby library for queuing and processing background jobs.
- Sidekiq Simple, efficient background processing for Ruby
Libs for analytics, monitoring
- rack-google-analytics Simple Rack middleware for implementing google analytics tracking
- DataDog A monitoring service for IT, operations and development teams
- Keen IO Build analytics features directly into your Ruby apps
Libraries and software for indexing and performing search queries on data.
- Thinking Sphinx - Sphinx plugin for ActiveRecord/Rails
- elasticsearch-ruby - Ruby integrations for Elasticsearch
- Searchkick - Intelligent search made easy
Tools for managing, compressing and minifying website assets.
- sprockets Rack-based asset packaging system
Libraries for caching data.
- rack-cache HTTP Caching for Ruby Web Apps
- Dalli - a high performance pure Ruby client for accessing memcached servers.
Libraries for sending and parsing email.
Libraries for woking with i18n.
- i18n - Basic internationalization(i18n) library for Ruby
- globalize Rails I18n de-facto standard library for ActiveRecord model/data translation
- i18n-tasks Manage translations in ruby applications with the awesome power of static analysis
Libraries for parsing URLs.
Libraries for working with HTML, XML & CSS.
- loofah A general library for manipulating and transforming HTML/XML documents and fragments
Libraries for scraping websites.
Web Content Extracting
Libraries for extracting web contents.
Libraries for downloading.
Libraries for working with forms.
- simple_form Forms made easy for Rails
- formtastic A Rails form builder plugin with semantically rich and accessible markup
Libraries for validating data. Used for forms in many cases.
Libraries for fighting spam.
Libraries for tagging items.
- acts-as-taggable-on - A tagging plugin for Rails applications that allows for custom tagging along dynamic contexts.
Compile software from source code.
Libraries for administrative interfaces.
- active_admin The administration framework for Ruby on Rails applications
- rails_admin A Rails engine that provides an easy-to-use interface for managing your data
Processes and Threads
Libraries for woking with processes or threads
- Parallel - Ruby parallel processing made simple and fast
Libraries for network programming.
Libraries for woking with WebSocket.
- Faye - Simple pub/sub messaging for the web
- websocket-rails - Plug and play websocket support for ruby on rails.
Libraries for working with graphical user interface applications.
Awesome game development libraries.
- Logstash Logstash is a tool for managing events and logs.
Libraries for generating and working with log files.
Libraries for testing codebases and generating test data.
- Testing Frameworks
- Fake Data
- Code Coverage
- simplecov Code coverage for Ruby 1.9+ with a powerful configuration library and automatic merging of coverage
Code Analysis and Linter
Libraries and tools for analysing, parsing and manipulation codebases.
- Rubocop - A Ruby static code analyzer, based on the community Ruby style guide.
- ruby-lint - ruby-lint is a static code analysis tool for Ruby
Libraries for debugging and developing.
Science and Data Analysis
Libraries for scientific computing and data analyzing.
Libraries for visualizing data.
Libraries for Machine Learning.
Framworks and libraries for MapReduce.
Libraries for accessing third party APIs.
- koala A lightweight, flexible library for Facebook
- fb_graph A full-stack Facebook Graph API wrapper
- twitter A Ruby interface to the Twitter API
- tweetstream A simple library for consuming Twitter's Streaming API
- octokit.rb Ruby toolkit for the GitHub API
- instagram The official gem for the Instagram API
- linkedin Ruby wrapper for the LinkedIn API
- twilio-ruby A Ruby gem for communicating with the Twilio API and generating TwiML
- youtube_it An object-oriented Ruby wrapper for the YouTube GData API
- flickraw Flickraw is a library to access flickr api
- f00px Official 500px api ruby gem
Software and libraries for DevOps.
- Puppet - Server automation framework and application
- Chef - A systems integration framework, built to bring the benefits of configuration management to your entire infrastructure.
- Vagrant - Vagrant is a tool for building and distributing development environments.
- Capistrano - Remote multi-server automation tool
- Mina Really fast deployer and server automation tool
Foreign Function Interface
Libraries for providing foreign function interface.
Libraries for making Ruby faster.
- EventMachine - EventMachine: fast, simple event-processing library for Ruby programs
- Celluloid - Actor-based concurrent object framework for Ruby
Algorithms and Design Patterns
Collections of algorithms and design patterns.
Useful libraries or tools that don't fit in the categories above.
- packetfu A mid-level packet manipulation library for Ruby.
Plugins for various editors.
App templates for creating apps quickly
- suspenders A Rails template with our standard defaults, ready to deploy to Heroku
- ruby2-rails4-bootstrap-heroku A starter application based on Ruby 2, Rails 4 and Bootstrap for Sass, deployable on Heroku
- rails-bootstrap Rails 4.1 starter app with the Bootstrap front-end framework
- rails4-starterkit Rails 4.1 starter app with production ready performance, security, and authentication
Where to discover new Ruby libraries.
People to Follow
People in Ruby World
- Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto Creator of Ruby lang
- David Heinemeier Hansson Creator of Rails framework
- Aaron Patterson
- Ruby Weekly - A free, once–weekly e-mail round-up of Ruby news and articles.
- Ruby5 - The latest news in the Ruby and Rails community
Your Pull requests are welcome! Let's make this the awesomest resource for Ruby <3