ChatSecure is a free and open source instant messaging client for iOS that integrates encrypted OTR ("Off the Record") messaging support from the libotr library. It uses the LibOrange library to handle all of the AIM (OSCAR) functionality and the XMPPFramework to handle Jabber/GTalk (XMPP).
This project is 100% free because it is important that all people around the world have unrestricted access to privacy tools. However, developing and supporting this project is hard work and costs real money. Please help support the development of this project! We now also accept Bitcoin via Coinbase! :)
If you would like to contribute/improve a translation:
- Visit our Transifex project page and make an account if you don't have one already.
- Go to the resources subsites AppStore.strings & Localizable.strings to add a new language or improve an existing translation.
- Open an issue on Github notifying us of your translation.
Bold indicates it has been tested and works properly.
- Adium (Mac OS X) - OTR works over both XMPP and Oscar.
- Jitsi (Cross-platform)
- ChatSecure Android (formerly known as Gibberbot), a free and open source Android application produced by The Guardian Project, provides OTR protocol compatible over XMPP chat.
- BEEM - Android XMPP client (compatibility unknown)
- Install mogenerator
brew install mogenerator
git clone email@example.com:chrisballinger/Off-the-Record-iOS.git --recursive
/Off the Record/OTRSecrets.hand fill in blank strings for the missing API keys:
Off the Record.xcodeprojin Xcode and build.
Software License Agreement (GPLv3+) Copyright (c) 2012, Chris Ballinger. All rights reserved. This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
If you would like to relicense this code to distribute it on the App Store, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in contributing to ChatSecure! To avoid potential legal headaches and to allow distribution on Apple's App Store please sign our CLA (Contributors License Agreement). For contributing translations, please check out our Transifex page.
- Sign the CLA (odt, pdf) and email it to email@example.com.
- Fork the project and (preferably) work in a feature branch.
- Open a pull request on GitHub.
- Thank you!
This software additionally references or incorporates the following sources of intellectual property, the license terms for which are set forth in the sources themselves:
The following dependencies are bundled with the ChatSecure, but are under terms of a separate license:
- libotr - provides the core message encryption capabilities
- LibOrange - handles all of the OSCAR (AIM) functionality
- XMPPFramework - XMPP support
- MBProgressHUD - a nice looking progress HUD
- MWFeedParser - Methods for escaping HTML strings
- Crittercism - crash reports, only submitted via opt-in
- SSKeychain - Utilities to store passwords securely in the iOS keychain
- Appirater - nags people to give reviews
- MagicalRecord - Core Data convenience methods
- encrypted-core-data - Core Data + SQLCipher
- UserVoice - in-app support forum
- mogenerator - creates class files for core data model
- DAKeyboardControl - support for swiping down keyboard in chat view
- Nick Hum - awesome icon.
- Glyphish - icons used on the tab bar.
- Adium - lock/unlock icon used in chat window, status gems.
- Sergio Sánchez López - AIM protocol icon.
- Mateo Zlatar - World Icon
- Goxxy - Google Talk icon.
- AcaniChat - help on setting up chat view input box
- Many many more!