See INSTALL.md for installation instructions.
The Latest News
Refactoring into ES Modules is done. Current branch is "main", check "master" for the old code.
We have a new set of textures that I'm free to distribute. Some were created by a graphic designer (the good ones), others were created by me to finish the job (the not-so-good ones). Previously I recommended some bdcraft textures which I wasn't free to distribute.
Demo: https://voxeling.greaterscope.com. Use Google Chrome (not Chromium) as it provides the smoothest experience, expecially on Linux.
Project blog: https://blog.alanszlosek.com/tags/voxeling/
Player skins from:
- Multiplayer, with maxogden, substack and viking skins
- Block creation and destruction (batch operations via click-and-drag)
- Jumping and flying
- First-person, third person camera views
- Building materials and material picker dialog
- Gamepad support (90% complete)
- Adjustable draw distance (change it according to your GPU speed and memory)
- World state can be saved to files, mysql or mongodb
What I'm working on
- Dragon model
- Physics+collision detection re-work in preparation for NPC animals
- Optimizations, always and forever
Perhaps in the Future
- Point light sources and shadow mapping
- Client and Server architecture
- Simple physics engine for player movements
- My own "rectangle merge" meshing algorithm
- Sample world generators
- Websocket connection for chat messages, player positions, world changes
- Chunk data is stored and transferred with gzip compression
- Relatively flat architecture means it's easy to get a WebGL handle and the inverse camera matrix for drawing
- All IO and chunk meshing is done in a web worker, which keeps the framerate very high
- Directional lighting
- Day and night cycle (still needs some love)
See it in action in the demo (Google Chrome or Firefox): https://voxeling.greaterscope.com
Or follow the installation instructions below to run it locally.
See the CONTRIBUTING file