- This little app allows you to control the iTunes volume using
volume-downhotkeys from your keyboard.
- It allows you also to control the same iTunes volume by means of your Apple Remote control.
- This is particularly useful to control the volume of AirPlay devices.
Why do you need this app?
- iTunes volume is normally not affected by changes of volume from the keyboard. This would only affect the system volume settings.
- This behavior is somehow undesired, especially when listening to musing on external speakers like AirPlay devices.
- iTunes does not respond to volume change from your Apple Remote. Again, this would only change the system volume settings, leaving unaffected the volume of your AirPlay device.
How to get it installed?
It is very simple. There is no need of any installation.
- Just download this dmg package.
- Open it.
- Drag the iTunes Volume Control app into your Application folder, or any other folder of your choice.
- Run the iTunes Volume Control app and a "music note" symbol will appear in your status bar.
Mac OS X version at least 10.7 (Lion) or greater
This app has been inspired by ``Volume for iTunes'' by Yogi Patel. The icon has been designed by Alexandro Rei. The apple remote control has been adapted from iremotepipe by Steven Wittens.
- 1.5.2: Fixed small bug on displaying the volume level when controlling it with the Apple Remote.
- 1.5.1: Added the compatibility with Mac OS X versions greater than OS X 10.7 (Lion).
- 1.5: Added the possibility to change the increment step on the volume. Backward compatible with Mavericks and Yosemite.
- 1.4.10: Corrected bug on repositioning the volume indicator on right position.
- 1.4.9: Started to prepare the transition to Yosemite look.
- 1.4.8: Updates are now signed with DSA. This improves the security, e.g., preventing man-in-the-middle attacks.
- 1.4.7: Changed icons and graphics to be compatible with retina display.
- 1.4.6: Added the option to hide the icon from status bar. The icon reappears temporarily (for 10 seconds) by simply restarting the application. This gives the time to change the hide behavior as desired.
- 1.4.5: Added the option to enable/disable automatic updates occurring once a week
- 1.4.4: Corrected two bugs: the focus remains correctly on the selected application after changing the volume; cap lock does not prevent anymore the volume to be changed.
- 1.4.3: Corrected bug: properly hide transparent panels when animations are completed (thanks to Justin Kerr Sheckler)
- 1.4.2: Added iTunes icon to volume indicator. Corrected bug when iTunes is busy.
- 1.4.1: Added automatic upgrade capability.
- 1.4: Added "mute" control.
- 1.3: Added graphic overlay panel indicating the volume level.
- 1.2: Added options, load at login, use CMD modifier.
- 1.1: Controlling iTunes volume using Apple Remote.
- 1.0: Controlling iTunes volume using keyboard "volume up"/"volume down".
Note: you can download old versions by clicking on the links which appear above here.
It is required Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). The app has been tested with Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8.