Folding Map came about from work done with various nonprofits who needed to do some basic mapping. At the time the available options for commercial applications cost too much, free options were difficult for people to use or didn’t have the right feature sets. Since then FoldingMap has been completely rewritten to incorporate new features and better design options.
Folding Map is written in Java and is supported on Windows, OSX and Linux.
Requires a minimum of 256mb of stack space
- In app downloading of OpenStreetMaps.org data
- Choropleth map creation
- Assorted compatible file formats (GPX, Geo RSS, GeoJSON, KML, MbTiles, GPX, OpenStreetMaps.org, SVG)
Use of other projects:
- Folding Map includes color specifications and designs developed by Cynthia Brewer (http://colorbrewer.org)
- Folding Map includes icons from the Maki Icon Set created by MapBox, LLC. (https://github.com/mapbox/maki)
- Folding Map includes icons from the Silk Icon Set created by Mark James (http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk)
- Folding Map includes Apache POI (http://poi.apache.org/download.html)
- Folding Map includes code adapted from Metadata-Extractor by Drew Noakes (http://drewnoakes.com/code/exif/)
- Folding Map includes the SQLite JDBC library, developed by Taro L. Saito
- Folding Map includes a ruler icon designed by Evgeniy Kozachenko from The Noun Project.
- Folding Map includes a play icon designed by Mateo Zlatar, from The Noun Project.