gomavlib is a library that implements the Mavlink protocol (2.0 and 1.0) in the Go programming language. It can power UGVs, UAVs, ground stations, monitoring systems or routers, connected to other Mavlink-capable devices through a serial port, UDP, TCP or a custom transport.
Mavlink is a lightweight and transport-independent protocol that is mostly used to communicate with unmanned ground vehicles (UGV) and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV, drones, quadcopters, multirotors). It is supported by the most popular open-source flight controllers (Ardupilot and PX4).
This library powers the mavp2p router.
- Decode and encode Mavlink v2.0 and v1.0. Supports checksums, empty-byte truncation (v2.0), signatures (v2.0), message extensions (v2.0).
- Dialects are optional, the library can work with standard dialects (ready-to-use standard dialects are provided in directory
dialects/), custom dialects or no dialects at all. In case of custom dialects, a dialect generator is available in order to convert XML definitions into their Go representation.
- Create nodes able to communicate with multiple endpoints in parallel and with multiple transports:
- UDP (server, client or broadcast mode)
- TCP (server or client mode)
- custom reader/writer
- Emit heartbeats automatically
- Send automatic stream requests to Ardupilot devices (disabled by default)
- Support both domain names and IPs
- Examples provided for every feature, comprehensive test suite, continuous integration
Table of contents
Install Go ≥ 1.15.
Create an empty folder, open a terminal in it and initialize the Go modules system:
go mod init main
Download one of the example files and place it in the folder:
Compile and run
go run name-of-the-go-file.go
Standard dialects are provided in the
pkg/dialects/ folder, but it's also possible to use custom dialects, that can be converted into Go files by running:
go get github.com/aler9/gomavlib/cmd/dialect-import dialect-import my_dialect.xml > dialect.go
If you want to hack the library and test the results, unit tests can be launched with:
- main website https://mavlink.io/en/
- packet format https://mavlink.io/en/guide/serialization.html
- common dialect https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink/blob/master/message_definitions/v1.0/common.xml
Other Go libraries
Other non-Go libraries
- [C] https://github.com/mavlink/c_library_v2
- [Python] https://github.com/ArduPilot/pymavlink
- [Java] https://github.com/DrTon/jMAVlib
- [C#] https://github.com/asvol/mavlink.net
- [Rust] https://github.com/3drobotics/rust-mavlink
- [JS] https://github.com/omcaree/node-mavlink