Build An Alexa Fact Skill
This Alexa sample skill is a template for a basic fact skill. Provided a list of interesting facts about a topic, Alexa will select a fact at random and tell it to the user when the skill is invoked.
Each skill consists of two basic parts, a front end and a back end. The front end is the voice interface, or VUI. The voice interface is configured through the voice interaction model. The back end is where the logic of your skill resides.
Three Options for Skill Setup
There are a number of different ways for you to setup your skill, depending on your experience and what tools you have available.
- If this is your first skill, choose the Alexa-Hosted backend instructions to get started quickly.
- If you want to manage the backend resources in your own AWS account, you can follow the AWS-Hosted instructions.
- Developers with the ASK Command Line Interface configured may follow the ASK CLI instructions.
- Amazon Developer Forums - Join the conversation!
- Hackster.io - See what others are building with Alexa.
Tutorials & Guides
- Voice Design Guide - A great resource for learning conversational and voice user interface design.
- Codecademy: Learn Alexa - Learn how to build an Alexa Skill from within your browser with this beginner friendly tutorial on Codecademy!