Build An Alexa Skill with In-Skill Purchases - Premium Hello World
Adding premium content to your skill is a way for you to monetize your skill. This Alexa sample skill is a template for a basic ISP skill. It takes the hello world skill and adds greetings in a variety of languages as premium content. This premium content is accessed through a one-time purchase of the "Greetings Pack". It also includes a monthly "Premium Subscription", which greets the customer in multiple languages in a variety of voices using Amazon Polly.
Each skill consists of two basic parts, a front end and a back end.
- The front end is the voice interface, or VUI. The voice interface is configured through the voice interaction model.
- The back end is where the logic of your skill resides.
Three Options for Skill Setup
There are a number of different ways for you to setup your skill, depending on your experience and what tools you have available - Alexa Hosted, AWS Hosted, ASK CLI. For this Hello World Skill, we will be using the Alexa Hosted option. If you'd like to use the AWS Hosted, or ASK CLI methods, you can check out the instructions here for the Sample Fact skill - AWS Hosted Instructions | ASK CLI instructions
With an Alexa-hosted skill, you can build, edit, and publish a skill without leaving the developer console. The skill includes a code editor for managing and deploying the backend code for your skill. For details on what the Alexa-Hosted skills service provides, open this page in a new tab.
To Get Started using the Alexa Developer Console, click the button below:
- Amazon Developer Forums - Join the conversation!
- Hackster.io - See what others are building with Alexa.
Tutorials & Guides
- Voice Design Guide - A great resource for learning conversational and voice user interface design.
- Codecademy: Learn Alexa - Learn how to build an Alexa Skill from within your browser with this beginner friendly tutorial on Codecademy!