Build a Simple Echo Buttons Skill in ASK Python SDK (using Decorators)
Important: The Gadgets Skill API is in beta and is subject to change at any time without notice. We welcome your feedback.
These instructions show how to create a simple skill called Hello Buttons. This skill demonstrates how to send directives to, and receive events from, Echo Buttons. These direction assume you have some familiarity with Python (or a similar programming language) and the Alexa Skills Kit.
This simple sample has no external dependencies or session management, and shows the most basic example of how to create a Lambda function for handling Alexa Skill requests.
To run this example skill you need to do two things. The first is to deploy the example code in lambda, and the second is to configure the Alexa skill to use Lambda.
Skills can be built either by implementing
or by using skill builder's
request_handler decorator. More information
on this can be checked in the documentation.
This sample skill shows how to use skill builder's
The code for this implementation is under lambda/py folder.
- Amazon Developer Forums : Join the conversation!
- Hackster.io - See what others are building with Alexa.
Tutorials & Guides
- Voice Design Guide - A great resource for learning conversational and voice user interface design.
- Official Alexa Skills Kit Python SDK
- Official Alexa Skills Kit Python SDK Docs
- Official Alexa Skills Kit Docs
- Official Alexa Gadgets Documentation - The Echo Buttons are the first Alexa Gadget