A handy list of resources for getting up to speed on modeling, operating, and using Amazon DynamoDB.
Table of Contents
Rick Houlihan gets his own section due to his mythical status among DynamoDB fans. His AWS re:Invent talks are always the most-watched sessions on YouTube. Rick is rarely seen outside his native habitat on the strip in Las Vegas or in the AWS War Room, but some astute developers have seen him in the wild, usually mumbling about how 'all data is relational'.
- AWS re:Invent 2019: Advanced Design Patterns
- AWS re:Invent 2018: Advanced Design Patterns
- AWS re:Invent 2017: Advanced Design Patterns
- AWS re:Invent 2018: DynamoDB Under the Hood. Really great talk from a DynamoDB engineer that dives into the architecture behind DynamoDB.
- AWS re:Invent 2019: Data Modeling with DynamoDB. A more intermediate level talk that will explain some of the principles behind data modeling with DynamoDB.
- DynamoDB Deep Dive (Course. A full course from the folks at Linux Academy on how to use DynamoDB.
- ServerlessConf 2019: Using (and Ignoring) DynamoDB Best Practices with Serverless. This talk focuses on using DynamoDB in Serverless applications.
- DynamoDB Relationships. A nice 30 minute video series from Gary Jennings that walks through examples of how to model different types of relationships in DynamoDB -- one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-many. Nice use of the NoSQL Workbench for DynamoDB as well.
- DynamoDB Best Practices Guide. From the AWS documentation, a list of best practices and examples for modeling with DynamoDB.
- DynamoDB Guide. A basic walkthrough to DynamoDB concepts, API actions, and mechanics, with some data modeling examples.
- From relational DB to single DynamoDB table: a step-by-step exploration. Awesome post from Forrest Brazeal with a step-by-step walkthrough of moving to a single-table design.
- How to switch from RDBMS to DynamoDB in 20 easy steps.... By Jeremy Daly, a funny and eternally useful list of steps for learning how to model with DynamoDB.
- Comparing multi and single table approaches to designing a DynamoDB data model. Paul Swail takes a look at the pros and cons of modeling with a single table in DynamoDB and provides recommendations on when to avoid it.
- Lessons learned using Single-table design with DynamoDB and GraphQL in production. A collection of great tips learned the hard way from Rafal Wilinski. Rafal is the creator of Dynobase, listed in the Tools section below.
- Dynobase. Handy tool that makes it easy to view and manipulate your tables, generate application code, and more.
- NoSQL Workbench For Amazon DynamoDB. A tool similar MySQL workbench that lets you model data and interact with your tables without going to the AWS console.
- Dynamoose. An open source modeling tool for Node.js projects, inspired by Mongoose.