This dataset summarizes and expands from NYT Military Surplus Gear Data. The US Department of Defense has a specific program to provide: "surplus DoD military equipment to state and local civilian law enforcement agencies for use in counter-narcotics and counter-terrorism operations, and to enhance officer safety" (Excess Property Program, or 1033 Program). This equipment can account for things like planes and helicopters, grenade launchers and assault rifles.
Thanks to a series of FOIA requests, The New York Times has collected data on the states that received surplus military gear through the program since 2006. We've grouped this data by State and by year, created rankings and averages, added information on crime and police officers killed in each state.
- State Totals Comaprisons.csv
Aggregates on a state level the single military gear acquired since 2006, and on the amounts for last year (2013). Totals are also normalized by a series of parameters, and enriched with other relevant information. Variables available:
- Total acquisition cost ($) (2006 - 2014)
- Total number of Items
- Average price per item
- Total acquisition cost ($ per inhabitant)
- Total acquisition cost ($ per police agency)
- Total acquisition cost ($ per inhabitant) (Rank)
- Total acquisition cost ($ per police agency) (Rank)
- Police officers (per 1,000 inhabitants)
- Police officers (per 1,000 inhabitants) (Rank)
- 2013 acquisition cost ($ per inhabitant) (Rank)
- Police officers killed or assaulted (2012) (per 100 officers) (Rank)
- Violent Crime Rate (Rank)
- Population (2010 Census)
- Police officers (Full-time) (2012)
- Number of police agencies
- Law Enforcement Felonoiusly Killed
- Law Enforcement Officers Assaulted
- Total Law Enforcement Officers Killed or Assaulted (2012)
- Total Law Enforcement Officers Killed or Assaulted (2012) (per 100 police officers)
- Violent Crime Rate
- Yearly State totals.csv
Looks at the acquisitions costs and number of items received on a per-state and per-year basis.
- Information on acquisition costs and number of items obtained by each state, in each year, through the 1033 Program: The New York Times
- US Population per State: 2010 US Census
- Police Officers (Full-time) and Number of Police Agencies: FBI, 2012 Uniform Crime Reports, Police Employee Tables
- Law Enforcement Killed and Assaulted (2012) FBI, 2012 LEOKA
- Violent Crime Rate: FBI, 2012 Uniform Crime Reports, Violent Crime Rates Tables
This work by Alice Corona is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.