PhotoGal generates a beautiful photo gallery from a plain directory of files.
It provides the features casual visitors will notice:
- Sharp modern appearance
- Easy navigation controls
It does NOT provide:
- Photo editing - you will need to export into this from other software like Lightroom or Darktable.
- Comments/likes/social media integration
- Uploading photos to a server -- you will need to move the files yourself with utilities like SFTP or
- Tagging and categorizing photos across galleries -- you can only have a simple list of galleries.
- Rearranging photos to appear in a particular order -- you will need to rename the files to do this.
- Navigation hotkeys
- Large click area for navigation buttons
- Thumbnail rows are automatically scaled to fill the page width. (Not a trivial problem!)
- When viewing images full size, the neighboring images are preloaded for instantations switch
This requires Ruby and ImageMagick.
# Ubuntu Linux sudo apt install ruby imagemagick # Mac OSX (with Homebrew) brew install ruby imagemagick
git clone https://github.com/allantokuda/photogal.git photos cd photos/galleries
Put your photos into subfolders of the "galleries" folder, so your files look like
Then run this script, which creates generates thumbnails and and creates the
index.html files for each gallery:
Each gallery can have a
config.yml file, e.g.
Set a key image to represent the gallery on the site index:
Make the gallery unlisted on the site index: