This is the code base for the UK Government's petitions service (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk). We have open sourced the code for you to use under the terms of licence contained in this repository.
We hope you enjoy it!
A few things to know:
- You will need
- You will need PostgreSQL and Memcached
Setting your development environment
- clone the repo to your local machine
- install postgres. Easiest with homebrew using
$ brew install postgres
- If you like you can add postgres to your LaunchAgent. Follow instructions at end of console output
- Set up your dev and test databases
$ psql postgres
# CREATE DATABASE epets_development;
# CREATE DATABASE epets_test;
# GRANT all privileges ON database epets_development TO epets;
# GRANT all privileges ON database epets_test TO epets;
# ALTER USER epets WITH PASSWORD 'replace_me';
# \qto quit
- You will need to set up the
config/database.yml. Copy what is in
config/database.example.ymland add the password you used earlier for the
$ rake db:structure:load- load the sql structure into your new databases
$ rails s- boot the app
- If you want to seed your database with sample petitions, use
$ rake data:generate
- If you want jobs (like emails) to be run, use
$ rake jobs:work
- For setting up a sysadmin user
rake epets:add_sysadmin_user- to set up an admin user with email 'email@example.com' and password 'Letmein1!'
- go to
/adminand log in. You will be asked to change your password. Remember, the password must contain a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.