GOV.UK Mainstream, Home & Search Frontend
Application to serve mainstream formats, the homepage, and search vertical for the GOV.UK single domain.
- https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk (simple smart answer)
- https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote (transaction start page)
- https://www.gov.uk/search?q=cabinet+office (search results page)
- https://www.gov.uk/ (homepage)
- https://www.gov.uk/tour (tour of GOV.UK)
- https://www.gov.uk/help (help index page)
- https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice (travel advice index page)
- Formats - our phrase for a type of content
A Ruby on Rails application that renders the citizen-facing part of formats stored in the Content Store. It looks up the passed-in slug in the Content Store.
It also serves the homepage (hard-coded route) and the search results vertical (hard-coded route).
app/views/root for some bespoke transaction start pages.
- alphagov/content-store - provides raw data for rendering formats
- alphagov/mapit - provides postcode lookups
- alphagov/imminence - provides places lookups (e.g. for find-my-nearest)
Running the application
To run the application standalone, run static and execute the following command:
which uses a local copy of static.
Note that you will have to have GOV.UK Mapit running locally.
To run in a full development stack (with DNS, all apps running etc.) just use
If you are using the GDS development virtual machine then the application will be available on the host at http://frontend.dev.gov.uk/
Note that the app uses a local version of GOV.UK Mapit, therefore a valid dataset will have to be loaded for Mapit, otherwise postcode lookups will not succeed. This is part of the standard GOV.UK data replication steps.
Running the test suite
bundle exec rake runs the test suite.
The tests in
will be run as part of the
To run them in a browser on your local machine (useful for breakpointing):
INCLUDE_JS_TEST_ASSETS=1 bundle exec script/rails server -p 3150 --environment=teston your vm
This relies on you being able to access the above server on