Smart answers are a great tool for content designers to present complex information in a quick and simple way. Defining what they are – decision trees? calculators? tools? is immaterial – what they do is provide a reusable technical framework to build a quick and simple answer to a complex question.
Read more in Lisa Scott's GDS blog post.
- Look up Meursing code
- Maternity and paternity calculator for employers
- Towing: licence and age requirements
Smart Answer: The flow, questions and outcomes.
Flow: Defines the questions, outcomes and the rules for navigating between them.
Landing page: Contains a description of the Smart Answer and the "Start now" button that leads to the first question.
Question page: Contains an individual question that's asked in order to help arrive at at an outcome.
Outcome page: Contains the result of the Smart Answer based on responses to individual questions.
This is a Ruby on Rails application that contains:
- A Rails application to serve Smart Answers
- A DSL for creating Smart Answers
- The Smart Answers that appear on GOV.UK
NOTE. This application doesn't use a database and as such it doesn't include the ActiveRecord Railtie in application.rb.
- alphagov/static: provides static assets (JS/CSS) and the GOV.UK templates.
- alphagov/imminence: provides post code lookup
- alphagov/whitehall: provides country lookup; and information about high commisions and embassies
- nodejs/node: provides JS runtime for precompiling assets for deployment
- File structure
- Flow definition
- Question types
- Next node rules
- Storing data
- ERB templates
Smart Answer flow development
- Development principles
- Deploying changes for fact-check
- Flattening outcomes
- Refactoring existing Smart Answers
- Creating a new Smart Answer
- Publishing a Smart Answer
- Retiring a Smart Answer
- Updating worldwide fixture data
Smart Answers app development
- Custom Google Analytics accounts and Tracking IDs
- Viewing landing pages and outcomes as Govspeak
- Viewing state of a Smart Answer
- Visualising flows
Registering on GOV.UK
bundle exec rake publishing_api:sync_allwill send all smart answers to the Publishing API.