- Everything methods in SE, by Barbara Kitchenham.
- E. Miller, J. Cohen; An Integrative Theory Of Prefrontal Cortex Function
HCI Sample papers
Compiled by anonymous prof: Here are some notable modern papers in the flavor of HCI/crowdsourcing/systems to get you started, but it’s by no means an exhaustive list. When reading through these papers, don’t worry about the fact that the subject matter differs from the ideas that we will develop together. Rather, pay attention to their presentation style and evaluation methods, and you will notice common themes emerging. Although this seems like a LOT of papers to read through, you should be able to skim through them pretty fast in your leisure time. They’re all fairly easy reads without a ton of formalism. If you read one paper per weekday, then you’ll be done in a month :)
Jeff Bigham’s group at University of Rochester (and now CMU):
- VizWiz: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/hci/pubs/pdfs/vizwiz.pdf
- Legion: http://roc.cs.rochester.edu/legion/papers/legion.pdf
- LegionAR: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/hci/pubs/pdfs/legionar_cscw.pdf
- Scribe: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/hci/pubs/pdfs/scribe.pdf
Rob Miller’s group at MIT CSAIL:
- ToolScape: http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/other-pubs/chi2014-juhokim-toolscape.pdf
- Clui: http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/other-pubs/uist2012-clui.pdf
- Cobi: http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/other-pubs/uist2013-cobi.pdf
- Adrenaline: http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/2011/realtime/adrenaline-uist2011.pdf
- Soylent: http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/2010/soylent/soylent-uist2010.pdf
Michael Bernstein and Scott Klemmer’s group at Stanford (and now UCSD):
- Twitch: http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/2014/Twitch/chi14-twitch.pdf
- Codex: http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/2014/Codex/codex-paper.pdf
- Ensemble: http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/2014/Ensemble/ensemble_cscw_2014.pdf
- Webzeitgeist: http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/2013/Webzeitgeist/webzeitgeist.pdf
- EmailValet: http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/2013/EmailValet/EmailValet-CSCW2013.pdf
Bjoern Hartmann’s group at UC Berkeley:
- DemoCut: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bjoern/papers/chi-democut-uist2013.pdf
- MixT: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bjoern/papers/chi-mixt-uist2012.pdf
- Umati: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bjoern/papers/heimerl-umati-chi2012.pdf
- ShowMeHow: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bjoern/papers/ramesh-showmehow-uist11.pdf
Andrew Ko’s group at University of Washington:
- LemonAid: http://dl.acm.org/authorize.cfm?key=6762889
- Gestalt: http://dl.acm.org/authorize.cfm?key=391402
SE Sample papers
Compiled by Andy Ko: Below is a list of papers that have been influential in my thinking and research at the intersection of HCI, Software Engineering, and Computing Education. I mostly use this list for new students who join my lab, so it also includes some of my own publications or former students' publications, because they represent the type of research that I enjoy doing. This list is by no means complete, and I'll obviously continue to add to it. If you know of something that's been influential to you in this research area, send it my way!
- A Framework and Methodology for Studying the Causes of Software Errors in Programming Systems. Ko, A.J. and Myers, B.A. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, 16(1-2), 2005.
- Program Slicing. Mark Weiser. ICSE, 1981.
- Cognitive Dimensions of Notations. Green, T. R. G. (1989). People and Computers, 443-460.
- HANDS Thesis Appendices. Pane, J. Carnegie Mellon University, 2002.
- Six Learning Barriers in End-User Programming Systems. Ko, A.J., Myers, B.A., and Aung, H. IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), 2004.
- Computational Thinking in K-12: A Review of the State of the Field. Grover, S., & Pea, R. Educational Researcher, 42(1), 38-43, 2013.
- Have we missed something? Identifying missing types of research in computing education. Kinnunen, P., Meisalo, V., & Malmi, L. ICER 2010.
- Using HCI Techniques to Design a More Usable Programming System. Pane, J. Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, 2002.
- Why Minimal Guidance During Instruction Does Not Work: An Analysis of the Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching. Kirschner, P. A., Sweller, J., & Clark, R. E. Educational Psychologist, 1-12, 2006
- Lowering the Barriers to Programming: A Taxonomy of Programming Environments and Languages for Novice Programmers. Kelleher, C., & Pausch, R. ACM Computing Surveys, 37(2), 83-137, 2005.
- The State of the Art in End-User Software Engineering. Ko, A.J., Abraham, R., Beckwith, L., Blackwell, A., Burnett, M.M., Erwig, M., Scaffidi, C., Lawrance, J., Lieberman, H., Myers, B.A., Rosson, M.B., Rothermel, G., Shaw, M., and Wiedenbeck, S. ACM Computing Surveys, 43(3), 2011.
- The Reflective Practitioner: How Practitioners think in action. Schon, Donald.
- Understanding Comics. McCloud, Scott.
- Dilemmas in a General Theory of Planning. Rittel, H.W.J. and Webber, M.M. Policy Science, 4 (1973), 155-169.
Software Engineering (workplace)
- The time famine: Toward a sociology of work time. Perlow L. Administrative Science Quarterly, 44 (1), 57-81, 1999.
- What Makes a Great Software Engineer? Li, P., Ko, A.J., and Zhu, J. International Conference on Software Engineering, 2015.
- Information Needs in Collocated Software Development Teams. Ko, A.J., DeLine, R., and Venolia, G. International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), 2007.
- Mythical Man-Month. Brooks, Frederick P.
Software Engineering (program)
- Problem frames: analyzing and structuring software development problems. Michael Jackson. Addison-Wesley.
- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software. E. Gamma, R. Helm, R. Johnson, J. Vlissides. Addison-Wesley, 1995
- N Degrees of Separation: Multi-Dimensional Separation of Concerns. Peri Tarr, Harold Ossher, William Harrison, and Stanley M Sutton. ICSE 1999.
- Direct manipulation Interfaces. Hutchins, E., Hollan, J. D., & Norman, D.A. Human-Computer Interaction, 2002.
- Principles of mixed-initiative user interfaces. Horvitz, E. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 1999.
- A Practical Guide to Controlled Experiments of Software Engineering Tools with Human Participants, Ko, A.J., LaToza, T., Burnett, M. M. Empirical Software Engineering, 2013.
- Evaluating User Interface Systems Research. Olsen, D. ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, 2007
- Usability evaluation considered harmful (some of the time). Greenberg, S. and Buxton, B. CHI 2008.
- A behavioral model of rational choice. Simon, H. A. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 69(1), 99-118, 1995.
- Grounding in communication. Clark, H., & Brennan, S. Perspectives on Socially Shared Cognition, 1999.
- Distributed Cognition: Toward a New Foundation for Human-Computer Interaction Research, Hollan, J., Hutchins, E., & Kirsh, D. 1-23, 2011
- First steps in programming: a rationale for attention investment models. Blackwell, A. Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2008
- Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Lave, Jean; Wenger, Etienne. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- How Do Committees Invent? Melvin E. Conway. Datamation, vol. 14, pp. 28â€“31, Apr. 1968.
Other: Maybe CSCL literature, particular on learning theories like situated learning (Lave & Wenger, 1991), affinity spaces (Gee, 2003), productive failure (Kapur, 2008), and identity development (Nasir and Hand, 2008).